> Counseling & Psychological Services
MSU Counseling and Psychological Services
Pre-Master’s and Post-Master’s Internship Announcement
Montana State University
Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS) will offer placement and supervision for pre-master’s and/or post-master’s students beginning fall semester, 2015. Students selected will be required to commit themselves to a minimum of two consecutive semesters at Counseling and Psychological Services for no less than 20 hours each week. The experience will include both individual and group supervision by members of the staff, a caseload of 10 clients per week, participation in meetings and case consultations with senior staff, attendance at in-service training seminars, conducting intake assessments second semester, and participation in CPS outreach and consultation activities. There is the possibility of co-facilitating a group with a senior staff member. This opportunity would be in addition to the 20-hour time commitment. Interns are expected to work two evenings/week, from 5-8pm.
- Application received: March 6, 2015 by 5pm. Please deliver the application to CPS – 211 Swingle Hall.
- Interviews will be conducted starting March 16, 2015
- Selection will be announced via email on March 24, 2015
The following requirements will be used for pre-master’s and post-master’s internship selection at Counseling and Psychological Services:
- Pre-master’s applicants must be enrolled in a masters level Counseling or Marriage and Family Therapy program, and have completed at least one semester of practicum by mid May, 2015.
- Post-master's applicants must have completed a master's degree in mental health or marriage and family counseling prior to the start of the internship in mid-August.
- All applicants must submit a formal letter of application to Dr. Betsy Asserson, Assistant Director of Training, Counseling & Psychological Services, stating their interest in the internship, academic background and any related work experience.
- All applicants must submit a minimum of two letters of recommendation including recommendations from all Practicum supervisors. For students enrolled in the MSU Counseling program, their practicum supervisors can provide a verbal recommendation if they attend a CPS Training and Supervision Committee meeting. They can contact
Dr. Asserson for further details on attending the meeting.
- All applicants must submit a quality audio or video recording, demonstrating their basic skills and competencies in working with an ongoing individual client (no intake sessions). Applicants are expected to secure an appropriate release of information to submit the work sample but please do not provide the release to CPS in order to protect confidentiality. Attached is a list of questions, specific to this recording, which must be addressed as part of the application.
- All applicants must submit a current curriculum vita.
- A personal interview will be required for applicants who are finalists for selection.
The following conditions or assumptions are understood.
- Pre-master’s and post-master’s interns will be encouraged to work closely with the entire Counseling and Psychological Services staff. Intensive supervision is a core component of our training program; therefore, openness to feedback is highly valued.
- Experiences may be individualized in order to meet special needs and preferences of the students.
- Pre-master’s interns will not provide counseling or psychological services for a fee during their tenure as trainees at Counseling and Psychological Services.
- Pre-master’s and post-master’s interns will not provide any counseling or psychological services outside MSU Counseling and Psychological Services without written approval from the center's Director and the Assistant Director of Training.
- If post-master’s students provide counseling or psychological services outside of MSU Counseling and Psychological Services, they will sign a written contract delineating who will supervise them and be responsible for their outside services.
- There is no salary for post-master’s or pre-master’s students working at Counseling and Psychological Services.
- While most of the students’ time will be allocated to direct service, trainees are expected to participate in additional learning opportunities at CPS including outreach and consultation.
- Post-master’s and pre-master’s interns will be required to obtain professional liability insurance at their own expense and provide documentation of their coverage at the start of their placement at CPS.
- The Director of Counseling and Psychological Services has the option of terminating the contract with the pre-master’s and post-master’s interns at any time.
Please submit a recording of an individual client session (no couples, families, or intakes) with a case write-up including the following information:
- Identifying Information
- Presenting Problem (a paragraph will do)
- Brief History
- Your conceptualization of the client
- Therapy Goals
- DSM 5 Diagnosis
- Number of this session as well as of sessions seen
- How you felt about this session and what you would do differently
- How you see your relationship with this client
- How you see your own issues impacting the therapeutic relationship with this client