Minutes of University Graduate Council
May 10, 2007
Present: Michelle Hardy (AG), John Brittingham (A & A), Priscilla Wisner (BUS), Mark Nelson (EHHD), Robert Maher (ENGR), Carl Fox (DGE), Yves Idzerda (L&S-Science), Rita Cheek (NURS), David Weaver (FC).
Also attending was MaryKay West (DGE).
Meeting commenced at 8:07 in 103 Sherrick Hall.
UNIVERSITY GRADUATE COUNCIL AGENDA ITEMS: (Numbers refer to item numbers on the Agenda).
----Approval of Minutes for April 26, 2007
Motion: Michelle motioned to accept the minutes as written; Rob Maher seconded;
vote was unanimous.
5. Final Decision on Non-tenured Committee Chairs – Jen Jencso
- Nursing is expanding programs, with limited number of tenured faculty
- On Plan B (professional clinical projects), want to allow non-tenured faculty to be Chairs
- Most nursing students are on Plan A, but nursing is encouraging more Plan Bs
- Possibly change designation of “research advisor” to “research chair”
- Rita will take idea of co-chair back to Nursing faculty
- TABLED until fall.
6. Proposed Governance Committee Document -- Bob Rydell
- Bob Rydell was not present to lead the discussion of the draft document
- Carl suggested changing council elections from fall to spring
- Possible revisions in wording of items were discussed
- The role of the Faculty Council designee and the necessity of discussion and communication between Faculty Council and UGC on key items were discussed
- UGC makes recommendations to the Vice Provost of Graduate Education who then presents them to the Provost, for final decision
- Rita will take suggested revisions to Bob Rydell.
7. Meeting with Graduate Coordinators – Carl Fox
- CANCELLED until fall
- Carl proposed presenting a campus-wide presentation of the state of graduate education at MSU, after Labor Day.
8. UGC Membership for AY 08 and 9. Election of UGC Chair
- POSTPONED until fall.
10. Tuition Waiver Allocation Policy – Principles – Carl Fox
- Provost Dave Dooley has asked UGC to take a look at the tuition waiver situation
- At present, there is no current policy
- MSU Tuition Waiver Board and the budget office define the number of tuition waivers, then DGE allocates them to colleges
- CONTINUED until fall.
11. Summer Schedule and 12. Planning for Fall
13. Common Syllabus Format for Graduate Courses – Carl Fox
- POSTPONED until fall.
14. (non Agenda) DGE Section in MSU Catalog
- Present catalog has just 2 pages on DGE
- Paper catalog is used in recruiting students
- DGE will update DGE electronic policies and procedures and present to UGC
- CONTINUE in fall.
Meeting adjourned at 10:08 a.m.