How to Plan your Schedule
(Switch to quality)
- Audio Transcript
How to Plan Your Schedule
(Transcript for Screencast)
Before Registering for Courses
- You will need:
- Your Curriculum Paperwork Folder for your Major (including option/minor courses – if adding focus areas)
- Semester Plan Sheet with selected courses
- Schedule Worksheet (available on the Education Advising website – forms tab: http://www.montana.edu/ehhd/educ/advising/index.shtml#tab=2)
- Access to the Internet
- Go to the MSU website (www.montana.edu) . Click on the “My Info” link on the “Campus Tools” bar at the bottom of the page. The select “Schedule of Classes.”
- After selecting the appropriate term you wish to register for classes, begin with the course that has the fewest sections offered (i.e. BIOB 100IN, EDU 222IS, EDU 223IS). If there is a particular course that must be in a certain semester, AND there are only a few sections, it would be a good idea to start with this course, and then schedule other courses around it. See Picture 1 below.
- On the Schedule Worksheet begin organizing your schedule by blocking out the time for the class. Remember to include the course rubric, CRN #, and time block (i.e. 10:-00 – 10:50, 9:25 – 10:40, etc.) See Picture 2 below. Continue with this method working toward those courses with more options for time until you have worked out a schedule containing around 15-16 credits.
- If you have chosen to take fewer credits during 1 or more semesters, please be aware that this will delay your projected graduation semester and/or year for a 120 credit degree.
- Highlight, circle, or list the CRN #’s down the side of your worksheet for easy access. Use these numbers to register by inserting them into the boxes at the bottom of the registration (add/delete course) page. This speeds up the registration process considerably.
- Identifying alternative courses or sections that would work in the event that the ones you have selected are full is also helpful and will reduce the stress of locating a class that works with your prepared schedule as you are registering.