Doctoral Degree Specialization – Ed. D. "Higher Education Administration"
This Ed. D. specialization is for persons who wish to contribute to the administrative leadership of a college or university. The primary objective of the program is to produce informed practitioners for mid-to-upper level management or administrative positions. These individuals typically manage or direct non-academic operational functions and/or work in academic and administrative staff positions. A minimum of 51-60 credit hours is required. Students who have received a master's degree from the Adult & Higher Education program at MSU-Bozeman or a related master's degree will work with their advisor on designing a program of study.
Higher Education Core Courses (12 Credit Hours)
- • EDLD 505 Higher Education History and Philosophy (3)
- • EDLD 510 Organization and Administration of Higher Education (3)
- • EDLD 528 College Students (3)
- • EDLD 537 Institutional Research and Assessment (3) or EDLD 511 Planning and Program Assessment Higher Education Administration Specialized Courses (15 Credit Hours from the following)
- • EDLD 509 Issues and Trends in Higher Education (3)
- • EDLD 511 Planning Program Assessment (3)
- • EDLD 512 Finance and Administration in Higher Education (3)
- • EDLD 513 Resource and Program Management (3)
- • EDLD 529 Post Secondary Distance Delivered Education (3)
- • EDLD 533 Law and Policy in Higher Education (3)
- • EDLD 535 Student Services (3)
- • NAS 523 American Indians & Minorities In Higher Education (3)
Electives (9 Credit Hours)
Graduate level courses may be selected from the Adult Education specialization or other departments that will strengthen the student's program of study. These courses need to be selected in consultation with the chair.
Statistics and Research Courses (10 Credit Hours beyond the masters)
- • EDCI 502 Educational Statistics II (3) [EDCI 402, or equivalent, is a prerequisite]
- • EDCI 507 Qualitative Educational Research (3)
- • EDCI 607 Quantitative Educational Research (3) [EDCI 506, EDCI 502 or equivalent are prerequisite courses]
- • EDCI 500 Dissertation Design Seminar (1)
Dissertation (14 Credit Hours)
- • EDLD 690 Doctoral Thesis (14)
Students with no professional experience working in higher education administration must provide evidence of having gained such experience. This should be done prior to completing the dissertation or they must register for a three-credit higher education administration internship (EDLD 576) in addition to all of the above course requirements.
The M. Ed.
For students completing a M. Ed. with an Adult Education specialization, admission to the Ed. D. will be contingent on the student's professional history and ambitions, academic record, and A&HE's ability to offer the student a new, academically challenging, comprehensive course of study.
Program Plan Changes
The student may make limited changes to the above-described program plan with the chair's approval.