Music Education Procedures (BME Students)
Prerequisite courses for BME music methods:
- Theory I-IV
- Aural Perception I-IV
- Keyboard Skills I-IV
- Lifespan of Human Development HDCF 150IS
- In School Experience EDCI 102
- Math, Communications, and Writing Core
- Educational Psychology EDU 222 or EDU 223
- Foundations of Assessment MUSE 383
- Successful application to the Teacher Education Program (TEPP)
Music Methods Sequence:
- MUSE 397 Methods: General Music (Fall)
- MUSE 395 Teaching Practicum: General Music (Fall)
- MUSI 335 Instrumental Conducting (Fall)
- MUSE 497MI Methods: Instrumental Methods & Lit (Spring)
- MUSE 437 Instrumental Field Experience (Spring)
- MUSI 336 Choral Conducting (Spring)
- MUSE 497MC Methods: Choral Methods & Lit (Fall)
- MUSE 439 Choral Field Experience (Fall)
Requirements for Entrance into the Teacher Education Preparation Program (TEPP):
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better.
- Successful completion of Communications, Writing, and Math core classes with a GPA of 2.5 or better and no grade less than "C".
- No grade less than "C" in all required music and education courses.
- Advisor's approval
- Approved TEPP application
Application to Student Teaching
In addition to the above, the following requirements must be met:
- All coursework successful completed with no grades lower than a "C."
- Produce evidence of certification in CPR and First Aid (current when you student teach).
- Score of 147 or better on the PRAXIS II: MUSIC CONTENT KNOWLEDGE EXAM #0113 (scores to be submitted to the Field Placement and Certification Office by the student).
Guitar Proficiency Examination
All Bachelor of Music Education majors specializing in the School Music (K-12 Broadfield) Option must demonstrate guitar proficiency by taking MUSI 160, Beginning Guitar, or by passing a guitar proficiency examination.
GUITAR PROFICIENCY MUST BE DEMONSTRATED PRIOR TO STUDENT TEACHING.
- Successfully demonstrate the use of the capo in the transposition of an accompaniment.
- Successfully demonstrate the appropriate strumming techniques for the meter signatures of 4/4, 3/4, 2/4, and 6/8.
- Successfully perform the chord progression I-vi-IV-ii-V7-I in A major, C major, D major, E major, and G major.
Accompanying yourself on the guitar, sing one of the following songs:
- Skip To My Lou
- Buffalo Gals
- When Johnny Comes Marching Home
- Coventry Carol
- Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
A four-measure introduction should be used. Correct strumming techniques must be demonstrated. Examples of the required material may be found in the guitar text Guitar in Class, Vol. 1, by Mel Bay.
In addition to the above requirements for entrance into the teachers education program and student teaching, your application must have been submitted to Field Placement and Certification, and your fees paid to achieve certification.