> Office of Disability, Re-Entry and Veteran Services > Disabled Student Services
Note-taking Policies and Procedures
PURPOSE: To ensure equal access to in-class information for qualified MSU students with disabilities.
POLICY: Students must provide disability documentation to Disabled Student Services (DSS) that clearly supports the need for note-taking accommodations. Once this accommodation has been approved, DSS will contact the instructor to recruit a volunteer note taker in the class.
If class notes or Power Point slides are available on-line from the instructor, note taking may not be indicated.
Please notify DSS by e-mail within 24 hours of dropping a class for which note taking accommodations are being provided.
If there is a problem with reading or understanding the notes, be sure to communicate with a DSS staff member as soon as possible so the problem can be corrected.
NOTE: Students are typically required to attend class in order to receive class notes.
- Clearly communicate, in writing, to DSS staff the specific classes for which you will be requesting note taking accommodations. Click on this link for the Note Taking Request Form.
- Show the course instructor your blue Disabled Student Services certification card when communicating about your accommodations for their class.
- Tell the instructor that DSS will contact them and ask them to read a short statement, soliciting a volunteer note taker.
- The note taker will be asked to come to the DSS office and submit the “Note Taker Volunteer Sign-up Sheet.” The form will provide DSS with contact information and will serve to identify the student who is to receive the notes.
- Note taker information will not be given to the student unless the note taker grants permission.
- Notes copied by DSS will be placed in your file for pick up. You will be asked to sign for your notes each time you receive them.
- It is the student’s responsibility to pick up their notes regularly or in a timely manner. DSS staff will contact students who do not pick up notes regularly. Services for note taking may be stopped temporarily, pending a meeting with a DSS staff member.