Montana State University
Academics | Administration | Admissions | A-Z Index | Directories

Montana State Universityspacer Mountains and Minds
MSU AcademicsspacerMSU AdministrationspacerMSU AdmissionsspacerMSU A-Z IndexspacerMSU Directoriesspacer

Contact Us

Disability, Re-Entry and Veteran Services
Montana State University
P.O. Box 173960
Bozeman, MT 59717-3960


Tel: (406) 994-2824
TTY: (406) 994-6701
Fax: (406) 994-3943

180 Strand Union Building

Brenda York

> Office of Disability, Re-Entry and Veteran Services  > Disabled Student Services
Certification of Eligibility for Accommodations

Once disability status has been established, a student will be asked to complete a "Declaration of Disability and Request for Accommodations and Adjustments" form. The student will meet with a DSS staff member to review accommodation requests and to explore other disability-related needs. Each accommodation request will be given serious consideration, and reasonable accommodation requests, or appropriate alternative accommodations, that are supported by documentation will be approved and listed on an accommodations approval form. The student is then issued a DSS certification card, which is presented to instructors when accommodations (e.g., note taking assistance or extended time on exams) are requested.

The listed accommodations are intended to eliminate, as far as possible, the effect of the disability on academic performance. The card is usually valid for one year only; however, there are some exceptions, so instructors are encouraged to check the expiration date on the card.

Students who require classroom or exam accommodations must inform instructors of their needs. When an accommodation is requested, the instructor should ask to see the student's validated DSS Certification Card. Accommodations for which the student has been certified are listed inside the card. Though an instructor may grant academic accommodations to a student whose accommodation needs have not been certified by DSS, there is no obligation to do so. Any student who requests accommodations but has no card should be referred to DSS for assistance.

As long as accommodations have been requested in a timely fashion and need has been verified by DSS, accommodations may not be denied. To do so would be a probable violation of the student's rights under both section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans With Disabilities Act.

View Text-only Version Text-only Updated: 08/15/2013
© Montana State University 2006 Didn't Find it? Please use our contact list or our site index.