Montana State University-Bozeman is committed to provide the best possible interpreting services to deaf or hard-of-hearing student(s) requesting services. In order to achieve this goal, Disabled Student Services (DSS) has established the following policies and procedures. Please read over carefully.
REQUESTING AN INTERPRETER:
Deaf or hard of hearing students who require sign language interpreting will be provided with appropriate interpreter services. However, as MSU-Bozeman has a small population of students requiring interpreter services, interpreters are hired on an as-needed basis.
In order to ensure availability of an interpreter for classes, requests for interpreting from continuing students need to be submitted for the fall semester by May 1; for the spring semester by November 15 and for summer school by April 15.
Students new to Montana State University who are requesting interpreting services need to request services at least 3 months before beginning classes at MSU-Bozeman.
- Interpreting Request Form must be submitted to the DSS office by the above dates.
- Requests for interpreting services for outside of classroom school-related workshops, meetings, etc. must be submitted in writing to the DSS office at least 3-5 working days before the event.
- Although an interpreter may informally discuss service needs with a student, interpreter services will not be provided unless the student formally requests the service through DSS.
If You Are Absent:
- If you are unable to attend a class or event for which you requested an interpreter, please notify the DSS office as soon as possible.
- During business hours, DSS may be contacted at 994-2824 (voice), 994-6701 (TTY) or via the Montana Relay System.
- An e-mail may be sent to Brenda York email@example.com.
- A faxed notification may be sent to 994-3943.
When canceling services, the following information must be provided:
- the student's name;
- the name(s) of the class(es) or event that will be missed (for example, GEOG 1015);
- the time, day and date of the classes or event that will be missed (for example; 8:00-8:50am, Monday, March 1);
- the date that the student will return to class(es).
*notifying the interpreter alone is not sufficient. DSS must be made aware of the cancellation.*
A repeated number of absences may result in suspension of services, at the discretion of the Director of DSS.
PROBLEMS WITH AN INTERPRETER:
Occasionally difficulties occur because an interpreter is unable to meet the needs with the student he or she is working with. If a problem arises, the student should share his/her concerns with the interpreter. There may be a misunderstanding and a simple soulution. If the problem is severe, the student should contact DSS immediately. DSS is committed to finding resolutions for any problems that may be experienced.
Link to Printable Contract to sign and date these policies.