MSU Alumni Foundation
1501 South 11th Avenue
P.O. Box 172750
Bozeman, MT 59717-2750
Tel: (406) 994-2053
Toll Free: (800) 457-1696
Fax: (406) 994-6081
President & CEO
Double, even triple the impact of your gift through a matching gift. To learn if your company has a matching gifts program, click here.
How to Make Your Gift of Securities to Montana State
The staff of the Foundation is committed to helping you give stock or other securities for the benefit of Montana State University as quickly, efficiently and cost effectively as possible. We do ask that you contact us prior to making your gift so that we may understand the charitable purpose for your gift and how we may best meet your needs. Our contacts are Carrie Faulhaber (406-994-6421; firstname.lastname@example.org) or Barb Gordon (406-994-2508; email@example.com). You may also call our toll free line 800-457-1696 or FAX 406-994-6081.
The following methods are available in making your gift of securities:
If the stock is publicly traded and is held in "street name" by an investment or financial advisor (brokerage firm) or in a dividend reinvestment plan:
- Notify your broker/agent and the Montana State University Foundation that you wish to make a charitable gift of stock or other securities. Your agent will require written authorization from you to initiate the gift. Download the Stock & Securities Gift Form here.
- Instruct your broker/agent to immediately contact the Montana State University Foundation at 1-800-457-1696 or, in the Bozeman calling area, 994-2053 for transfer instructions. At this time, we will get your authorized gift details from your broker (stock description, number of shares, and cusip number).
- DTC (Depository Trust Company) transfer is the Foundation's preferred method of transferring the stock from your account to the Foundation's and we provide your broker/agent with the appropriate instruction. Our custodian will receive the stock on our behalf.
- If DTC is not available as a transfer method as may be the case in certain dividend investment plans, the transfer agent may reissue the certificate in the name of the Montana State University Foundation, Inc., IRS #81 6001649 and mail the certificate to us at 1501 So. 11th Avenue, PO Box 172750, Bozeman MT 59717-2750. This process may take several days. Our custodian will process the reissued certificate on our behalf.
If the stock is publicly traded, is in your name, and you have possession of the certificate(s) you may:
- Hand deliver the unendorsed stock certificate(s) and a blank signed stock power for each certificate to Montana State University Foundation and Alumni Center, 1501 South 11th Avenue, Bozeman, MT.
- Mail (in separate envelopes) the unendorsed stock certificate(s) and a blank signed stock power for each certificate to Montana State University Foundation, Inc., 1501 South 11th Avenue, PO Box 172750, Bozeman MT 59717-2750.
If the stock is closely held, restricted stock, or mutual fund shares:
- Please contact us as these gifts require special handling instructions. Individual valuation issues may apply.
How we establish the value for a gift of securities:
- We follow the valuation rules established by the IRS (Publication 561 - Determining the Value of Donated Property).
Methods available for selling a gift of securities:
- We ordinarily transfer shares of publicly traded securities to our custodian bank for subsequent sale. This is the most efficient and cost-effective manner for liquidating donated securities. The transaction costs are minimal and are absorbed by the Foundation. Accordingly, the gift fund receives the full benefit of the donated gift.
- However, if you instruct us to direct the transaction to a specific broker, we are happy to do so. Because the transaction costs will usually be significantly greater, the Foundation cannot absorb the costs. Although you will receive full gift credit for the value of the donated stock, the amount credited to the gift fund will be reduced by the transaction costs.