ATTENTION: Montana State University is already registered as an institution through Grants.gov. No additional registration by Principal Investigators is necessary.
Most federal grant proposals are now submitted electronically through Grants.gov. This website is a single access point allowing organizations to electronically find and apply for competitive grant opportunities from all federal grant-making agencies including grant programs such as NSF, NIH, EPA, USDA, DoED, DOD, DOE, USGS, DHHS, etc. See http://www.grants.gov for complete details.
If your sponsor requires submission through Grants.gov, contact your Fiscal Manager in OSP well in advance of due dates in order to assure an on-time application through this federally required system.
Find Grant Opportunities: PIs can search the Grants.gov database to find federal opportunities, and also register to receive for e-mail notifications. Comprehensive search mechanisms are available. Use the funding opportunity number of the program you wish to apply to for the next step.
Apply for Grants: On the Grants.gov web page you will find and download an application package using Adobe Reader version 8.1.2 through 10.0.1, or Adobe Professional 8.0, 9.0 or 10.0. Adobe Reader can be downloaded from http://www.grants.gov/help/download_software.jsp. A test package is available at http://www07.grants.gov/applicants/AdobeVersioningTestOnly.jsp to verify if you have the correct version of Adobe Reader installed on your computer. Download the application package to your desktop. When you have completed and saved all required forms and fields, the proposal will be ready for submission.
Transfer your Application to OSP: Your completed Grants.gov file and/or any other required agency files can now be attached to the Electronic Proposal Clearance Form (ePCF). Look for “Transfer Agency Files to OSP” on the Menu Options screen of the ePCF. The maximum file size is 100 megabytes. After attaching your files, select Finish at the top of the screen. An email message will be sent to the OSP Fiscal Manager and OSP Administrators to notify them that the files are ready to be received.
Submission of your Application: Your Fiscal Manager in OSP is the Authorized Organizational Representative who will then review and submit the proposal to the agency. PIs cannot submit the electronic proposal directly to Grants.gov.
Tips for Using Grants.gov
- Use Internet Explorer.
- Enable cookie support and pop-ups.
- Adobe applications will work on a PC or Macintosh computer.
- When downloading your application package, it's a good idea to register to receive notification of any changes that might be made to the application package.
- Download Adobe Reader (acceptable versions are 8.1.2 through 10.0.0) or use Adobe Professional 8.0, 9.0 or 10.0, application instructions and application forms. Save on your desktop.
- Notify OSP as soon as you begin the application process.
- Complete the SF 424 (R&R) Form first (it populates other fields) - see below
- PIs sometimes need to register with individual agencies. Call Pre-Award Services, 994-6240 for assistance (ie NIH, NSF, NASA). “Credential, agency login” "on the R&R Sr/Key Person Profile" form refers to your agency specific username (ie, eRA Commons username, NSF user id).
- Mandatory forms must be moved to Mandatory Documents for Submission (on right) in order to complete them.
- Fields not completed will show in yellow (these are Grants.gov mandatory fields; agencies may have others which are mandatory).
- After entering data into the file, click the SAVE button each time before exiting. Save this file on your desktop. The file does not automatically save the data.
- Most agencies require attachments to be in PDF. Do not use special characters (such as &, /, \, [, ], %, #, -, ', ) or periods or spaces in file names. For word separation, use an underscore (_).
- Do “Check Package for Errors” when done uploading files.
- The “Save and Submit” button becomes active after all mandatory elements are completed and moved to the right, and the document has been “Saved”. Again, PIs cannot submit the electronic proposal directly to Grants.gov.
- Transfer your completed Grants.gov file to OSP for submission by attaching it to the Electronic Proposal Clearance Form. Look for “Transfer Agency Files to OSP” on the Menu Options screen. The maximum file size is 100 megabytes. After attaching your files, select Finish at the top of the screen. An email message will be sent to the OSP Fiscal Manager and OSP Administrators to notify them that the files are ready to be received.
- Note your application deadline (Mountain time? Eastern time? 2 pm? 5 pm?) Submit early!
Remember that OSP has a 48 hour rule!
- Agency specific reminders:
NIH - PI must enter eRA Commons username at “Credential, agency login” (on Sr/Key Person form)
USDA - Complete the Conflict of Interest form (on Supplemental Info form)
HRSA - May require application to be completed in HRSA online, and signed cover sheet to be mailed by OSP.
NSF - Please use FastLane unless Grants.gov is required. If using Grants.gov, include your User ID at "Credential, agency login" (on Sr/Key Person Profile form).
The first form you should complete in any Grants.gov application is the 424 R&R. Once saved it will populate other required forms. Here is the information you will need for this initial form. (Field numbers may vary across agencies.)
Field 2 Applicant Identifier: PI Last Name, OSP Pending Number (OSP will add the Pending Number)
Field 5 Legal Name: Montana State University
DUNS #: 625447982
Department: (PI’s Department); Division (PI’s College)
Address: 309 Montana Hall, Bozeman, MT 59717-2470
Person to be contacted on matters involving this application: your Fiscal
Manager’s name and email.
Field 6 MSU Employer Identification number: 81- 6010045
Field 7 Type of Applicant: (F) State Controlled Institution of Higher Education
Field 14 Congressional District of Applicant: MT-001
Field 17 Is Application subject to review by state executive order 12372 process?
b. No - Program is not covered by E.O. 12372
Field 19 Authorized Representative:
Your Fiscal Manager’s name goes here
Fiscal Manager; Montana State University
Office of Sponsored Programs, VP for Research
309 Montana Hall
Bozeman, Gallatin, MT 59717-2470
406-994-2381, 406-994-7951, firstname.lastname@example.org
(Note: For proposals to the National Science Foundation,
FMs must use their own email address.)
Grants.gov Help Desk – 1-800-518-4726 or email@example.com
Grants.gov User Guide – http://www.Grants.gov/CustomerSupport
OSP assistance – 994-2381 or 994-6240