Need Help?

Procurement Services contact
Cheri Toeniskoetter
(406) 994-3212

 The State of Montana no longer has a term contract for employee moving expenses. 

Human Resources recommends the following procedure for any new hires that will have moving expenses paid by the University:

Any moving expenses paid to new hires that is not a flat moving allowance will  require three bids for the moving expenses and the new hire will need to use the moving company that offers the lowest bid. 

Even if Montana State University pays the moving company directly, the employee will have to pay taxes on the moving allowance. 

Other Requirements:

  • Any relocation allowance should be documented in the “letter of hire.”
  • Tax implications are possible.  For information contact Max Thompson with Human Resources at or 994-5533.
  • Do not sign vendor provided agreements without Procurement Services review.

If not paying a flat taxable moving allowance, normal procurement procedures must be followed: limited solicitation over $5,000, formal bidding (handled by Procurement Services) over $25,000