CRLT Players production of The Fence
- Monday, February 24, 2014 from 2:00pm to 4:00pm
- Strand Union Building - view map
The CRLT Players are visiting Montana Sate University with their acclaimed production of The Fence. A touring theatre company housed in the Center for Research on Learning and Teaching at the University of Michigan, the Players create research-based performances that examine current issues in higher education. Using a range of innovative theatrical techniques, the Players' performances engage faculty, graduate students, and university administrators in critical reflection, respectful dialogue, and problem solving.
In The Fence, members of a department's executive committee meet to discuss whether one of their junior colleagues should be awarded tenure. The committee is split, and arguments are made both for and against the candidate. Providing a 'fly on the wall' perspective, the sketch gives audience members a chance to observe the ways that unconscious bias can affect promotion and tenure decisions. Post-show discussion allows audiences to move inside the action and think about ways they might intervene in the meeting they have just seen to create a more equitable process.
The Players have performed at universities and conferences around the nation, including Florida International University and Purdue University. Recent viewers of The Fence have said:
- "These types of interactions are much more effective than formal presentations. I will never forget it!"
- "It was great to be a 'fly on the wall' watching body language as well as we listened to the interplay."
- "Great format to make you think of big impact of small things."
- "Amazingly effective in clarifying and emphasizing key issues of faculty interactions."