Seeking Surge Mentors for 2019-2020
The Sophomore Surge is currently seeking Surge Mentors for Fall 2019-Spring 2020. Surge Mentors are MSU students in their 2nd year or higher in Fall 2019 who will be trained, supported, and empowered to shape the futures of the next incoming Freshman class throughout their first year of college in order to Surge students into their sophomore year.
The Sophomore Surge collaborates with University Seminars to partner Surge Mentors within each section of 15-17 students. Surge Mentors attend every class meeting of CLS 101 or US 101 where they:
- Facilitate icebreaker and introduction activities with an emphasis on community-building.
- Encourage attendance at campus and community events and engagement opportunities.
- Provide guidance and support in the University Seminar's curriculum discussion and interaction.
- Support engagement of self-reflection and timely completion of important milestones for the transition to sophomore year.
- Support critical thinking, learning, and understanding in a supportive collegiate environment.
- Provide general academic support to first-year students and referrals to key MSU services.
- Receive a $500 stipend and upper division academic credit for training and support.
The priority application deadline is Friday, March 8, 2019. Applications are now available online at www.montana.edu/SophomoreSurge