Online Teaching: The Next Level (a short course for faculty)
- Sunday, March 24, 2013 to Sunday, April 14, 2013
Become a better online teaching with this online short course from Montana State Online. Every teacher has been a student, but how many online teachers have been an online student? Here's your chance to become a better online teacher by experiencing what it's like on the other side of the "desk." Pick up some valuable tips for making your online class the best it can be, plus learn some strategies for making your instructor workflow more efficient.
- "Online Teaching: The Next Level" is a three week short course offered entirely online through Desire2Learn.
- Participants should expect to spend about 15-30 hours total over the 3 weeks. For the most realistic student experience, plan to log in for about an hour a day 5 times per week, allowing additional time for readings and your own course development time.
- As a bonus, your "assignments" will be to develop or improve your own online class materials, all with the support of your MSU Online instructor and your peers. By the end of this short course, you could have your online class materials set and ready to go!
- This course is offered free-of-charge as a professional development opportunity through MSU Extended University. Participants will be asked to purchase a textbook for $27 -this is a great book and will probably be a go-to reference throughout your online teaching career.
- The Online Teaching Survival Guide: Simple and Practical Pedagogical Tips by Judith V. Boettcher and Rita-Marie Conrad; ISBN-10: 0470423536
- This course also provides the option of 2 CEUs or 20 OPI renewal units.
- Completion of TOP by March 8 <http://eu.montana.edu/online/top/default.htm> is a pre-requisite for participation in this course. Do not wait for the week before the Short Course to complete TOP. While you can put your name on the registration list for a course, a seat is not reserved for you until you have completed TOP.
- Academic Technology and Outreach