Faculty Led - France: Cezanne's Path: Paris and Provence
- Aix-en-Provence, France
- Paris, France
Cezanne's Path: Paris & Provence
College of Arts & Architecture/College of Letters & Science
Program OverviewLive, study and paint in Paris and in Aix-en-Provence! Learn to paint and speak French in two of the most beautiful French cities.
Paul Cézanne, more than any other artist, set 20th-century painting on its course. This 18-day study abroad course will explore drawing, painting and the origin of modern art through following the path of Cezanne (1839-1906) from his birthplace of Aix-en-Provence, where he lived and worked for most of his life, to Paris and other significant sites. By looking back to his life’s work and beyond to the assimilation (or rejection) of his painting by artists as diverse as Giacometti (1901-1966) to Brice Marden (1938-present), each participant will generate his/her own painting project, born out of personal investigation and individual experience on site. A visual research journal, reading and writing as well as regular discussion/critique of studio work will be required in order for each student to integrate his/her own experience of Cezanne’s influence and legacy in a relevant and individualistic way. Exploration of basic aesthetic and technical concepts in composition and use of color. Innovation using primarily representational subject matter. Class discussion/critique used as a tool for growth and development that extends beyond the basics toward fluency in the language of painting.
Students will also receive 19 hours of formal instruction on French language and culture. Classes will stress basic oral communicative skills for everyday life. They will cover vocabulary and grammar structures in context.
Faculty Led Poster_ParisProvince 17-18 New_Deadline.pdf
Course InformationRegister for a combination of 6 credits from the courses below for the Spring 2018 term. Travel will be directly following the semester.
- ML 492 (1 or 2 credits)
- ARTZ 223 (Painting, 4 credits) or ARTZ 323 (Intermediate Painting, 5 credits)
- May 6-26, 2018
- hotel lodging in Paris
- host families in Aix-en-Provence
- Includes breakfast daily and a farewell dinner in Paris. The homestays in Aix will provide breakfast and dinners daily.
Program Fee$4,984 + international airfare
- Program fee includes international health insurance, accomodations, meals, and group activities
- Program fee does not include international airfare
Financial AidThis program is eligible for financial aid during spring term.
If you intend to apply for financial aid, bring a copy of the Financial Aid Budget Sheet, located above, to the Office of Financial Aid Services as soon as possible.
- 2.5 min GPA
- Sophomore Status at time of program - may apply as a freshman
- Good academic and disciplinary standing
Faculty LeadersSara Mast
Modern Languages & Literatures
- January 15, 2018
MSU FACULTY LED STUDY ABROAD Application Process
1. Meet with a study abroad advisor in the Office of International Programs. Visit the Study Abroad website for Drop-In Advising Hours and to Schedule a Faculty Led Advising Appointment
2. APPLY ONLINE HERE through My Global Connection. A complete application includes:
- $300 Faculty Led Application Fee
- Official Transcript
- Acknowledgement of Faculty Led Participation and Pre-Departure Requirements
- Additional Application Information
- Faculty Led Application Short Essay
- FERPA Information
- Health History Form
- Passport Information
4. Upon program acceptance, confirm participation and complete Post-Acceptance Application Materials in My Global Connection
Contact Study Abroad
Have questions? Click to see drop-in advising hours.