Faculty Led - Ecuador: Cultural Applications in Nursing
- Latacunga, Ecuador
Ecuador: Cultural Applications in Nursing
Program OverviewTraveling to Latacunga, Ecuador is a unique opportunity to provide health care to underserved populations in rural communities. We will be traveling daily and setting up mobile clinics in remote villages usually within one hour of Latacunga. Everyone will be working with and assisting in the care of primarily the indigenous population of the Kichwa, many who are farmers and shepherds lacking sufficient access to health care in the highlands of Ecuador. This is an outstanding opportunity to expand your knowledge on primary care, leadership and organization in setting up and preparing mobile clinics to ensure streamlined access to care, cultural sensitivity and education, Medical professionals and volunteers will see about a total of 100 patients daily in at least five different locations. Daily activities include assisting with: dental hygiene, triage, vital signs and basic labs, dispensing medications, administration of fluoride to children, data entry, patient histories and assessments, and other miscellaneous clinic duties. The area of Latacunga is a breathtaking mountainous region near the Cotopaxi Volcano. Temperature average is 48 degrees F. at night and in the 60's during the day during March.
Faculty Led Poster_Ecuador CON 2018.pdf
Course InformationNRSG 469. Cultural Applications in Nursing. 2 credits (1 RD, 1 Clinical Lab). Spring Term
Spring Break Travel
Dates AbroadMarch 9-18, 2018
HousingStudents will stay in a hotel with shared rooms.
MealsBreakfast and dinner will be provided daily at the hotel. Packed lunches will be provided daily.
Program Fee$2,070 + International Airfare
- Program fee includes international health insurance, accommodations, meals, in-country transportation, cultural activities, and more
- Program fee does not include international airfare
Financial AidThis program is eligible for financial aid.
If you intend to apply for financial aid, bring a copy of the Financial Aid Budget Sheet to the Office of Financial Aid Services as soon as possible. Note: Select the budget sheet that correlates to your residency status.
- 2.5 GPA
- Dean of Students Disciplinary Clearance
- Junior/Senior, Upper Division Nursing
|Faculty Leader||Karrin Sax|
Assistant Clinical Professor - MSN,WHNP,RN
College of Nursing
Associate Clinical Professor - PhD, RN
College of Nursing
- Thursday, November 9th
MSU FACULTY LED STUDY ABROAD Application Process
- Meet with Faculty Leader and/or Faculty Led Program Coordinator in the Office of International Programs. Visit the Study Abroad website for Drop-In Advising Hours and to Schedule a Faculty Led Advising Appointment
- APPLY ONLINE HERE through My Global Connection. A complete application includes:
- $300 Faculty Led Application Fee
- Official Transcript
- Acknowledgement of Faculty Led Participation and Pre-Departure Requirements
- Additional Application Information
- Faculty Led Application Short Essay
- FERPA Information
- Health History Form
- Passport Information
- Complete an interview with the Faculty Leader and the Faculty Led Program Coordinator in the Office of International Programs.
- Upon program acceptance, confirm participation and complete Post-Acceptance Application Materials in My Global Connection
QuestionsStudy Abroad Team
Office of International Programs
Have questions? Click to see drop-in advising hours.