2018 - M.S. Geology, Purdue University
2015 - B.S. Geosciences, University of Arizona
Ph.D. in Earth Sciences
Dr. Devon Orme
I am interested in evaluating and comparing the early sedimentary record of ancient and modern forearc basins from various orogenic regions. My current research focuses on the initiation and development of the Mesozoic Sacramento sedimentary basin in northern California. To better understand the onset of deposition and provenance of the basal stratigraphy of the Sacramento basin, I will use a combination of sedimentary basin analysis, detrital zircon U-Pb geochronology, apatite fission track (AFT), and apatite/zircon (U-Th)/He thermochronology.
Thomas, W. A., Gehrels, G. E., Lawton, T. F., Satterfield, J. I., Romero, M. C., and Sundell, K. E. (2019). Detrital zircons and sediment dispersal from the Coahuila terrane of northern Mexico into the Marathon foreland of the southern Midcontinent. Geosphere, 15 (4), 1102–1127. doi: 10.1130/GES02033.1.
Carrapa, B., DeCelles, P. G., and Romero, M. (2019). Early inception of the Laramide orogeny in southwestern Montana and northern Wyoming: implications for models of flat‐slab subduction. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, doi: 10.1029/2018JB016888.
Thomas, W. A., Gehrels, G. E., Greb, S. F., Nadon, G. C., Satkoski, A. M., and Romero, M. C. (2017). Detrital zircons and sediment dispersal in the Appalachian foreland. Geosphere, 13(6), 2206-2230.
Thomas, W. A., Gehrels, G. E., and Romero, M. C., (2016). Detrital zircons from crystalline rocks along the Southern Oklahoma fault system, Wichita and Arbuckle Mountains, USA. Geosphere, 12(4), 1224-1234.
Grants, Honors, and Awards:
- Marathon Oil Scholarship (2019)
- Geological Society of America (GSA)- Graduate Student Research Grant (2019)
- Northern California Geological Society Richard Chambers Memorial Scholarship (2019)
- Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship Recipient, Montana State University (2018)
- Outstanding Graduate Student Award, Purdue University (2018)
- American Federation of Mineralogical and Geological Societies (2017)
- Cedric J. Newby Award, Purdue University (2017)
- Chevron Graduate Scholarship, Purdue University (2017)
- Michael C. Gardner Award, Purdue University (2017)
- Purdue Service Learning Grant-Office of Engagement (2016)
- GSA North-Central Section Student Travel Grant (2016)
- Cedric J. Newby Award, Purdue University (2016)
- Chevron Graduate Scholarship, Purdue University (2016)
- Alaska Geological Society Scholarship (2016)
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, Purdue University (2016)
- Knox Fellowship, Purdue University (2015-2016)
- Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship Recipient, Purdue University (2015-2017)
- Voorhees Geology Scholarship, University of Arizona, (2015)
- Geosciences Galileo Circle Scholar, University of Arizona (2015)
- Excellence in Undergraduate Research Award, University of Arizona (2015)
- Best Undergraduate Talk, University of Arizona, Geosciences GeoDaze Symposium (2015)
- W. Voorhees Geology Scholarship for Undergraduate Research, University of Arizona (2015)
- M. Keck Foundation Fellowship (2014-2015)