Student Organizations must register their club every academic year. For example, if you were a registered student organization in 2018-2019, your recognition status is active until September 30th, 2019. You may register your organization to gain recognition by filling out the registration form beginning in mid-August.

We encourage the formation of new clubs and have a whole page dedicated to just this! Read more on starting a club.

Yes! Every student pays $10.08/semester as part of their student fees. This goes into the Student Organization Fee which is comprised of two pots of money, Mass Funding and Rolling Funding. Mass Funding is given out in the spring for clubs to spend the next academic year. Rolling Funding is allocated on an ongoing basis throughout the academic year. The Student Organization Funding Board is comprised of three ASMSU Senators and two students at large.  They make all funding decisions.
Visit our Funding Page to find out more information about the process of applying for funding. Please note the weekly deadlines for Rolling Funding.

The Funding Board may fund:

  • Travel to and from conferences and competitions related to the registered student organization purposes;
  • Registration fees for activities, events or conferences;
  • Educational programs;
  • Support for organizational operations such as publicity, office supplies, and activities of the registered student organization ;
  • Movies/films to be shown publicly or to advance the purpose of the registered student organization;
  • Speakers/lectures;
  • Recognition banquets;
  • Other activities consistent with the mission of the registered student organization.

Full policies and more information about club funding can be found on the Apply for Funding page.

An advisor is an important piece of a successful student organization. Your advisor must be a staff or faculty member employed by MSU at least half-time. If your group has a specific interest area, start looking in departments that may align with that interest (such as a food club, look in the Nutrition program). You can also ask your professors and any staff you already have connections with about their interest in advising your group. If they don’t want to be your advisor, they may know of someone who does. You can also contact us and we can help get the word out that you are looking for an advisor.
The name, logos, and team name (“Bobcats”) are registered and protected trademarks of Montana State University which may not be used without the express permission of Montana State University. This policy helps to ensure immediate recognition, the maintenance of appropriateness, and the prevention of commercial use without compensation to the University. Student Organizations are not official groups endorsed by MSU and therefore are not able to use the name. If you want more detailed information, please refer to official policy found on the Use of University Name and Logos page.
All Registered Student Organizations are eligible to use the free poster delivery service through the Office of Student Engagement. Please view our Poster Policy
Lockers for club storage are located on the 3rd floor landing of the SUB on the north and south side of the building. The locker dimensions are 12” x 15” x 36”.  If your club is interested in securing locker space, please contact us at [email protected].
Club mailboxes are located on the basement-level of the SUB in front of the Leadership Institute offices. If your club is interested in securing a mailbox, please contact us at [email protected].
First, if your club plans to travel, you must fill out the Student Organization Travel Forms.How to rent from Enterprise is found on that page as well.

There are a variety of ways to recruit new members.  Here are a few ways:

  • Participate in the Involvement Fair, held bi-annually (typically in September and January), by the Office of Student Engagement. Find out more information on the Involvement Fair page.
  • Start a Facebook page! The power of social media is incredible!
  • You can table in the SUB (reserved through Conference Services) and the Residence Halls ( find out how to reserve space on our Resources page).
  • Print posters. Our office will distribute these if you bring 50 copies to 222 SUB by the set weekly deadline. Please drop off an original to be pre-approved before printing.  Be sure to review our Poster Policy.
  • Hold an “interest” meeting.
  • Have a “bring a friend” meeting and a reward for those who do.
  • Have food at your meetings and advertise you are doing so.
  • If you want more ideas on how to advertise your event or to recruit more members, we have an Event Planning 101 resource that includes how to advertise. Find that on our Resources page.
  • Ask your professors if you can speak in your classes about your organization and how to join.
  • Keep talking about your club! Word of mouth is one of the most powerful marketing tools around!
Registered Student Organizations have the privilege of utilizing campus space to conduct meetings and hold events.  Visit the Student Organization Policy Manual to learn more about reserving space.
  1. Send an email to [email protected] to let us know. This will take you off our club directory and listservs.
  2. You will need to close your bank account. Please discuss with them how to do that.  If there is money in there, you have two options:
    1. Donate to another club.
    2. Give to the Office of Student Engagement and we will put in the club funding pool.
  3. If you have any social media or websites, please take them down.