Annual Student Organization Registration
Groups that want to be recognized as an official Registered Student Organization at MSU must complete the registration process once each academic year. For returning clubs, in order to keep your registration status active from the previous academic year, you MUST register by September 30th. Clubs can register at any time throughout the year, however. The deadline is just to keep your registration status active from the previous year.
Steps to Registering a Student Organization
1. Submit a complete and accurate registration form in CatsConnect. Please use the link above that pertains to you.
2. Send the Advisor Agreement link to your advisor (found in the registration form).
4. The Office of Student Engagement (OSE) will process your registration once we receive both the completed registration form and the Advisor Agreement. Please allow up to 3 working days for the OSE office to process and approve the registration. Once your registration is approved, CatsConnect will automatically send you an email confirmation which will serve as your RSO Recognition Letter. Your Recognition Letter is your group’s "identification" to receive the benefits of being a registered student organization.
In order for the Office of Student Engagement (OSE) to recognize a student group, the following minimum standards must be met:
1. Have a clearly defined purpose/mission.
2. Submit a complete registration application (link found at the top of this page) and Advisor Agreement annually (RSO status of existing clubs is good until Sept. 30 of the following academic year). Completion of the application does not guarantee registration approval.
3. All executive positions (President ,VP, etc.) must be held by currently enrolled MSU-Bozeman students. No non-students can hold these positions. All organizations must have a President and a Vice President.
4. Minimum of 7 members is required, 80% of your overall membership MUST be currently enrolled students of MSU-Bozeman. Please note, however, that if your group is a club sport, 100% of your members must be registered, fee-paying students. Please contact Campus Recreation at 994-6313 for more information.
5. Your organization must have a designated staff or faculty advisor who is employed by MSU at least part-time.
6. The group may not exist to make a profit of any kind and hold a non-profit status.
7. Your group must comply with University policies and regulations pertaining to organizations, including contents of the Registered Student Organization Manual.
If you do not meet these criteria, please do not begin the registration process until all above criteria are met.
Updating Officers and/or Advisors
Follow these steps,
- Log into CatsConnect, and select the grid icon in the top right corner and click "Manage".
- Then, under "My Memberships", select your organization.
- Click the hamburger menu (three stacked lines) on the left side, and then select "Roster" under Organization Tools.
- This is where all you will be able to find all current members, pending members (meaning you have sent them an invite or they have requested to join), and prospective members (these are suggested users that may be a good fit for your organization).
- By clicking the pen on the far right of each member's name, you'll be able to change positions.
Tip: You're also able to create unique positions for your club! To create a position, click "Manage Positions" towards the top right on the Roster page.
New Student Organizations
We have a whole page dedicated to new student organizations. Please visit our new student organization page.
New Club Sports
Benefits of Being Registered
- Free use of University meeting rooms and facilities (certain areas and types of events may have rental fees).
- Free use of SUB mailbox (based on availability).
- Free use of club locker space (based on availability).
- Inclusion on CatsConnect to allow others to view your club information.
- Use of CatsConnect to manage your organization and publicize events.
- Inclusion on the RSO listserv hosted by OSE.
- Ability to participate in the bi-annual Involvement Fair to recruit members.
- Use of the Office of Student Engagement flyer posting service.
- Access to a graphic designer to help with club graphics.
- Access to training and leadership development by OSE.
- Eligibility to apply for student organization funding (available through the student activity fee) through OSE and the RSO Funding Board.
- Use of SUB advertising space: Includes banners, posters, table tents, and information tables. All of these items must be reserved through Conference Services.
- Use of the OSE SUB Union Marketplace TV advertising space.
- Support from OSE staff for event planning, club travel, organization management and more!