Student Organization Travel
Registered Student Organizations are allowed to travel as part of an organization-related trip anywhere off-campus. Due to the inherent risks associated with travel of any kind, and associated federal mandates set forth by the Clery Act, please submit the forms below no fewer than 10 days prior to the travel date. This is for DOMESTIC travel only. Learn more about International Travel.
Master Travel Form
The Master Travel Form should be filled out by the trip coordinator or organizer. Only ONE Master Travel Form needs to be submitted per trip at least 10 days prior to departure.
Participant Travel Form
Each traveling participant must complete a Participant Travel Form at least 10 days prior to departure. If you are traveling multiple times throughout the year, you only need to complete this ONCE per academic year. If you are unsure if you have completed, email us.
Student Organizations are required to register their international travel with the Office of International Programs NO LATER THAN 60 DAYS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE. Visit the Group International Travel page for forms and requirements needed for international travel. Please also be aware of the University International Travel Policy.
Registered Student Organizations are upheld to these policies:
Enterprise Rates through MSU Contract
Full Size SUV
Small Pick Up Truck
Large Pick Up Truck
**Please note: prices do not include fees. Prices are also subject to change. Work with OSE to get an exact quote.
Enterprise Rental Instructions
Registered student organization are eligible to rent through the contract MSU has with Enterprise. Please NOTE: The list of vehicle prices include 12-passenger vans, HOWEVER, MSU students are not allowed to travel in vehicles larger than 10-passenger.
- Funded Clubs (through the student organization fee) will need to reserve Enterprise vehicles through OSE by filling out the Enterprise & Gas Card Request Form. If you plan to travel frequently throughout the year, please email [email protected] to set you up to reserve your own vehicles.
- If you do not have funding, you can contact Enterprise directly at 406-522-0407 and use contract number: XZ63MSU
- Anyone 18 years and older with a valid driver's license is able to drive these vehicles.
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and $1 Million Combined Single Limit (CSL) Liability is included in the rates. There are contract exclusions if used in inappropriate ways; please call Enterprise at 406-586-8010 for details.
- Eligible for campus delivery, or pick-up at their NEW LOCATION: Behind JC Billion Auto Group at 4780 West Babcock Street.
- Anyone that will be driving on the trip MUST complete the Defensive Driver Training. This training takes about 30 minutes to complete and, once completed, the certificate is good for 3 years. Follow this link to complete the training.
Personal Vehicle Use
- Clubs may also use personal vehicles, however, will not have any liability coverage. Personal automobile insurance coverage will considered primary coverage. The university provides no coverage and will assume no responsibility for repairing damage to a personal vehicle.
- All policies and registering club travel still applies.
Student organizations with funding for travel are eligible to check-out gas cards from OSE with personal OR Enterprise vehicles.
The Office of Student Engagement (OSE) can provide you with a letter verifying your registered student organization travel that you can then provide to faculty IF YOUR TRAVEL IS CONFLICTING WITH ACADEMIC/COURSE OBLIGATIONS.
Prior to issuing you a Travel Verification Letter, you MUST first submit your Participant Travel Form. OSE must have also received your club's Master Travel Form (submitted by your trip coordinator) before issuing you a Travel Verification Letter. Links to both the Participant and Master Travel Forms can be found at the top of this page.
Travel Verification Letters will include:
Travel dates as provided to OSE on travel forms;
A statement that OSE can verify this as legitimate student organization travel.
The letter will be an electronic document that you can either print and hand deliver to faculty members or email to one or more faculty members. Letters WILL NOT ask faculty to excuse students from class or class work, nor will these letters provide any sort of endorsement of the club activity; they will merely verify the information that you, the traveler, have already provided to the faculty member verbally. These letters SHOULD NOT BE THE FIRST TIME ANY FACULTY MEMBER HAS HEARD ABOUT YOUR TRAVEL AND THE CONFLICT WITH THEIR COURSE. Be sure to speak with them about the situation prior to providing this letter of verification.
Decisions to excuse absences and/or allow for exceptions to be made to assignment due dates are at each individual faculty member's discretion and no letter generated by the OSE guarantees any particular outcome to these negotiations between students and faculty members.
To request a letter be generated and emailed to you, please submit the appropriate travel verification form NO LATER THAN 5 days before departure. Any letter requests submitted outside the 5 day window will not be accommodated.
OSE will let you know the pick-up location after you reserve, most likely Enterprise at their NEW LOCATION: Behind JC Billion Auto Group, 4780 West Babcock Street.
Clubs who have student organization funding for club travel are eligible to use the gas cards with both.
We recommend it to save you money.
No! MSU students are not allowed to travel in vehicles larger than 10-passenger. SUVs and vans hold 7 people total and are the largest vehicles in the Enterprise fleet available to MSU students.
18 years and older with a valid driver’s license if you use OSE's contract number: XZ63MSU. Otherwise drivers must be 21 years or older.
No, unless they are a coach (paid or volunteer). Coaches are considered official MSU volunteers. If they plan to drive or travel with the club, they must visit the Volunteer Policy page and fill out the Volunteer Form at the bottom. Please provide OSE with a copy of the Volunteer Form.
No. As long as your trip has a student trip leader (or club leader), then they do not.
- Vehicles not yet delivered to motor pool location or delivery not requested:
Cars - less than 24 hour notice, $20 per rig.
Vehicles other than cars - less than 36 hour notice, $35 per rig. (These vehicles are more expensive and they may have had to bring the vehicle in from another location.)
- Vehicles already delivered to motor pool location:
Full day charge unless roads are listed as emergency travel only.
- For Monday early AM departures:
Vehicles are delivered Friday afternoon, so all cancellations for early Monday will have to be done before Friday at 2pm.
If the road conditions are listed as emergency travel only, then this does not apply. HOWEVER you must NOT pick-up the vehicle from Enterprise if this is the case, otherwise you will be charged.
As soon as you know your travel dates and number of travelers. Enterprise runs out of vehicles quickly due to high demand, especially larger ones.
Please work through the OSE if your club has funding; do not call Enterprise directly. If you do not have funding, you are able to call Enterprise directly and arrange your own vehicle needs. If you wish to receive the MSU pricing and ability for 18+ drivers to drive, use contract number 63MSU01.