Western States Rhetoric and Literacy Conference 2019 Contemplative Rhetorics & Literacies
Conference registration closes Monday, October 14, 11:59 p.m. (MST)
Keynote Speaker: Christy I. Wenger, Shepherd University
Poetry Reading: Amy Ratto Parks, University of Montana
Date: October 25-26, 2019
Location: Montana State University, Bozeman, MT
We look forward to welcoming participants to Bozeman this fall. Our conference focus on contemplative rhetorics and literacies invites mindfulness into our academic ecologies for consideration and study on behalf of teachers, students, and scholars. They provide us new ways of approaching recurrent conceptual threads within rhetoric and literacy studies, such as those surrounding reflection, invention and process. Contemplative rhetorics and literacies also help us to meet surging interest in metacognition, well-being and non-cognitive factors of learning. Together we’ll explore topics like these:
- Contemplative approaches to teaching rhetoric and literacy
- Politics of studying/teaching contemplative rhetorics alongside or as an alternative to Western rhetorics
- Placing mindfulness, self-care and wellbeing in our curricula, programs, and departments
- Contemplative leadership theories and practices
- Rhetorics and literacies of embodiment and contemplation
- Intersections with feminist rhetorics and literacies, disability studies, cultural rhetorics and other fields of study
- Rhetorics of physical, mindful practices (yoga, qi gong, tai chi, etc.)
- Neuroscience of contemplative rhetorics
Bozeman’s airport is Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport.
We have partnered with two hotels for conference accommodations. Both hotels have nearby stops on the Streamline, Bozeman’s free bus service, which also serves campus.
The Element Hotel Bozeman, located 1.5 miles from the conference location. Rate available October 24-27, 2019. Double queen rooms are $205/night. Conference rate may be available upon request two days prior and two day after conference dates, subject to availability at the time of the reservation. Rooms will be released September 24, 2019. Please mention the Western States Rhetoric and Literacy Conference when you email [email protected] or make a reservation online.
The Best Western Plus Gran Tree Inn, located 2.6 miles from the conference location. Rate available October 24-27, 2019. Double queen rooms are $95/night. Rooms will be released September 24, 2019. Please mention the Western States Rhetoric and Literacy Conference when you call 406-587-5261 for a reservation.
Please see information on visitor parking for Friday. Parking by the hour is available in the parking garage, or you may purchase a parking pass for the day: http://www.montana.edu/parking/directions.html. Parking is free on Saturday.
Gender neutral bathrooms on campus: https://www.montana.edu/us/buildingPlans/MSUPlans/restrooms.php
Family Care Rooms: http://www.montana.edu/hr/family_resources/breastfeeding.html