Early Career Faculty Learning Community
This year-long learning community consists of monthly 1.5-hour sessions structured around a central theme connected to MSU’s strategic plan, and complemented by webinars from the National Center for Diversity and Development, workshops throughout the month on different topics highlighted at New Faculty Orientation.
The sessions will be hosted in a Brightspace course to allow new faculty to see the tool in action and become familiar with how it is used. As follow-up, faculty will be asked to submit a reflection on each topic and participate in online discussion forums related to the session theme.
New faculty will automatically be invited to the first learning community meeting in September.
Session 1: September: Successfully Navigating the University System
Tuesday, September 14 || 1:00 – 2:30 pm || SUB233
REGISTER HERE If you would like to attend via Webex, please indicate that in the comments section and the link will be sent to you before the session.
NCFDD webinar: Every semester (term) needs a plan
- Overview of the Strategic Plan and how it impacts the university culture.
Session 2: October: Successfully Navigating Challenges in the Classroom
- NCFDD webinar: Overcoming academic perfectionism
- Goal 1.1Broaden access for underrepresented populations and increase academic success for all students through excellence in undergraduate education.
Session 3: November Strategies for Enhancing Your Productivity in Research, Creative Practice, and/or Teaching
- NCFDD webinar: How to develop a daily writing practice
- Goal 1.3: Implement evidence-based high quality, high impact teaching and learning practices for every student.
- Goal 2.1:Enhance the significance and impact of scholarship.
Session 4: December Successfully Cultivating your Network of Mentors, Sponsors, and Collaborators
- NCFDD webinar: Cultivating your network of mentors, sponsors, & collaborators
- Goal 3.1:Increase mutually beneficial collaborations with Tribal nations and partners.
Session 5: January: Departmental Expectations for Career and Tenure Track Faculty
- NCFDD webinar: How to align your time with your priorities
- Goal 2.4:Elevate expectations for scholarship.
Session 6: February Moving through Resistance and Successful Grant Writing and Fellowships
- NCFDD webinar: Moving from resistance to writing
- Goal 2.3:Strengthen institutional reputation in scholarship.
Session 7: March Successfully managing your life as an academic
- NCFDD webinar: Mastering academic time management
- Goal 3.3:Foster a culture of collaboration, continuous improvement and individual growth.
Session 8: April Your Strategic Plan and Service Expectations
- NCFDD webinar: The art of saying no
- Goal 3.2: Grow mutually beneficial partnerships across Montana.
Session 9: May Managing Grads, Labs, Teams, and Difficult Colleagues
Questions about the Early Career Faculty Success Learning Community? Contact Nika Stoop at [email protected].