This page is your resource for links, papers, and other information about teaching and learning strategies for active and collaborative learning environments. These environments are often referred to as TEAL (Technology Enhanced Active Learning), ALC (Active Learning Classroom) or SCALE-UP (Student-Centered Active Learning Environment with Upside-down Pedagogies) classrooms.
Introduction to the TEAL classrooms from Professor Bill McLaughlin (click on the title to open the video)
- Introduction to the Videos
- Creating Student Groups
- Innovative Active Learning Activity Idea
- Conclusion to TEAL Video
Resources Shared with MSU TEAL Pilot instructors
(Note that some of these may be duplicated below under the specific institution where they came from)
- Guides, handouts, and references
- The U of M has a number of excellent ALC resources, including an annotated bibliography in the left hand menu.
- Immediate Feedback Assessment Technique (IF-AT) cards that Business TBL presenters recommended are at: www.epsteineducation.com
- Group Testing bibliography from Faculty Focus.
- Books and Videos of interest:
- Learner-Center Teaching: Putting the Research on Learning into practice: Terry Doyle
- Cooperative learning in higher education: Barbara Millis
- Facilitating Seven Ways of Learning: Davis and Arend
- Active Learning: 101 Strategies to Teach Any Subject: Mel Silberkman
- Susan Dana's "Implementing Team Based Learning in an Introduction to Law Course" article, referred to in the TBL workshop.
Resources from Scale-Up / North Carolina State
- “Scale-up” program
("The purpose of this website is to share designs for state-of-the-art learning studios, teaching methods, and instructional materials that are based on more than a decade of discipline-based education research")
Start here: http://scaleup.ncsu.edu/
Resources from MIT
- TEAL program description
- Papers and case studies
- Resources from the University of Minnesota
- YouTube video of an ALC : http://youtu.be/lfT_hoiuY8w ("Inside Active Learning Classrooms")