Commencement & Degree/Certificate Completion
5.7.1 Graduation Application
5.7.2 One-credit Extension
5.7.3 Eligibility to Participate in Commencement
5.7.4 Diplomas and Transcripts
5.7.5 Withdrawing & Reapplying for Graduation
5.7.6 Financial Obligations
MSU confers degrees and certificates three (3) times a year: December, May, and August. Diplomas are dated the last day of the term in which the requirements for the degree are completed.
Note: Candidates receiving a certificate do not receive a diploma.
Candidates must be enrolled in at least three (3) credits at MSU the term they intend to complete their degree or certificate. Candidates may confirm their current degree or certificate program and major by logging into MyInfo and viewing their unofficial transcript.
Auditing and review of degree or certificate requirements begins after the graduation application deadlines. Candidates can expect to receive email notification from the Office of Degree Programs & Certificates once audit and review are complete.
Fall - September 20
Spring - February 5
Summer - June 10
A letter of explanation from the chair or student will be required for all late Graduation Applications.
A One-credit Extension allows students additional time past the intended term of graduation up to the first day of the following term. Appropriate reasons to utilize the One-credit Extension are as follows:
- To satisfactorily complete all coursework (including “I” grade make-ups).
- To defend thesis/dissertation past the published deadline for the intended term.
- To satisfactorily complete all of the recommended corrections to the thesis/dissertation and submit all required copies in final format to The Graduate School past the published deadline for the intended term.
- Approval of the thesis/dissertation by the Graduate Dean.
- Successful completion of all other degree requirements as determined by the department and The Graduate School, including submission of all documentation required for graduation.
To use the One-credit Extension, the student must do the following:
- Withdraw their Graduation Application for the original term of graduation on The Graduate School website by the end of the current term;
- Submit a new Graduation Application for the following term indicating you are using the One-credit Extension by the end of the current term; and
- Register for one (1) credit the following term. To register for the one (1) credit, you may be able to do this yourself or contact your department admin or committee chair to register you for the appropriate credit/course.
The degree will not be conferred until the end of the following term. If all degree requirements are not met by 5:00 p.m. on the first day of the following term, the student will be required to register for an additional two (2) credits to meet the minimum of three (3) credits and to complete graduation requirements.
MSU allows only those candidates who have completed all requirements for the degree (coursework, examinations, and final papers, including approval of the thesis or dissertation by the Graduate Dean) and who have applied to graduate by the deadline to participate in commencement exercises. Candidates listed in MSU’s commencement book are those who have identified themselves as eligible to graduate. Being listed in the commencement book does not imply completion of the degree.
Note: Candidates receiving a certificate do not participate in commencement.
Candidates utilizing the one-credit extension, and who have documentation from their committee chair that assures completion of degree requirements by the one-credit extension deadline, may participate in the current term’s ceremony.
Candidates who participate in commencement must wear appropriate academic caps and
gowns. These may be purchased from the MSU Bookstore.
All candidates should log into MyInfo and update their mailing address and legal name for their diploma. Diplomas are dated the last day of the term in which the requirements for the degree are completed. Transcripts may be ordered online through the Registrar’s Office.
Candidates who have applied to graduate and are unable to meet the requirements for the term of intended graduation must withdraw their Graduation Application. Withdrawal requires completing and submitting the Withdraw Graduation Application form. The deadline to withdraw is the last day of the term of intended graduation.
In addition, if a student plans to use the One-credit Extension they also must 1) withdraw their Graduation Application and 2) submit a new Graduation Application by the end of the original intended term of graduation. Otherwise, students have until the normal posted term deadlines to apply for graduation.
All candidates for degrees must fully satisfy their financial obligations to the University (or make arrangements with MSU for doing so) as a condition for completing their degree. Candidates failing to comply with this requirement shall not be eligible for graduation, diplomas, degrees or any transcripts of their records.