Social Security Number

First of all, you may begin working before your social security number is assigned, however, it is important to apply for the number promptly. In order to apply for a Social Security Number, F-1 and J-1 students must first secure a job and have a letter of employment. They must then visit the Office of International Programs to fill out the appropriate paperwork and to receive the permission to apply at the Social Security Administration. This cannot be done any earlier than 10 working days after initial entry to the United States (the date on the I-94 card). 

The student can then apply in person at the Social Security Administration once the paperwork with OIP is complete. Students should make sure tho bring a passport, I-94 card, I-20 or DS-2019, Letter of Employment, and documents prepared at OIP. The Social Security Administration is located at:

3205 North 27th Avenue
Bozeman, MT 59718

Phone: (406) 586-4501 or 1-800-772-1213

Note: The building is located behind the Target Store; by bus, take the blue line, it is the last stop.

The SSN is a very personal number that should be kept private and given only to reliable and safe offices such as an employer, bank, insurance, doctor or phone company. Keep your card in a safe place, do not carry it or any other document that shows your SSN.

Note: Canadian citizens cannot use the Canadian SSN as a U.S. SSN. Applying for a SSN can only happen while in the U.S. through the above procedure.


Taxes must be filed by April 15th each year for funds earned the previous calendar year. Free tax assistance is organized on campus every year in the spring.

Scholars who are paid by MSU will have to complete the online FINIS form and can get assistance from Human Resources