Faculty Led - Morocco: Agroecology and Environmental Science in Rural Morocco
- Marrakesh, Morocco
- Zawiya Ahansal, Morocco
Program OverviewThe program is an international service learning program in the rural region of Zawiya Ahansal, Morocco. The focus of the program is a two-week hands-on field experience in partnership with the Atlas Cultural Foundation, a US non profit organization, their local partners, and local tribal leaders and community members. Students will have the opportunity to work on ACF’s ongoing community agriculture and environmental science programs.
Students will work side by side with local farmers to analyze and solve local food system issues, work with traditional agricultural methods, materials and tools, understand nutrition-related health implications of food system change, and see first hand the impact their knowledge can have on the revitalization of a community. A unique opportunity to observe a food system from the outside, reflect on what you learn and bring it back home. The program will focus on the entire food system from water sources, to soil quality, farming, harvesting and nutrition.
Faculty Led Poster_Morocco Agroecology 2018.pdf
Course InformationENSC 491. Special Topics. 3 credits. Summer Term
Dates AbroadMay 7-24, 2018
The housing will be arranged at the Gite of the local village elder in Zawyia Ahansal and in a hotel in Marrakech.
MealsLocal meals from the area will be provided and cooked by locals in a clean setting. Arrangementscan be made for diet restrictions. The cuisine is typical Moroccan and includes olives, bread, cooked salads, couscous, pulses, and diverse meats. Bottled and/or treated drinking water is included.
- Program fee includes international health insurance, in-country transportation, food and bottled/treated drinking water, lodging, guides and translators
- Program fee does not include international airfare
- Financial Aid Budget_Morocco Agroecology_Summer 2018_Resident.pdf
- Financial Aid Budget_Morocco Agroecology_Summer 2018_Non-Resident.pdf
Financial AidThis program is eligible for financial aid.
If you intend to apply for financial aid, bring a copy of the Financial Aid Budget Sheet, located above, to the Office of Financial Aid Services as soon as possible.
|Faculty Leader||Dr. Tim Seipel|
Land Resources and Environmental Sciences
Application DeadlineSunday, April 1
MSU FACULTY LED STUDY ABROAD Application Process
- Meet with Faculty Leader and/or Faculty Led Program Coordinator in the Office of International Programs. Visit the Study Abroad website for Drop-In Advising Hours and to Schedule a Faculty Led Advising Appointment
- APPLY ONLINE HERE through My Global Connection. A complete application includes:
- $300 Faculty Led Application Fee
- Official Transcript
- Acknowledgement of Faculty Led Participation and Pre-Departure Requirements
- Additional Application Information
- Faculty Led Application Short Essay
- FERPA Information
- Health History Form
- Passport Information
- Complete an interview with the Faculty Leader and the Faculty Led Program Coordinator in the Office of International Programs
- Upon program acceptance, confirm participation and complete Post-Acceptance Application Materials in My Global Connection
QuestionsStudy Abroad Team
Office of International Programs
Have questions? Click to see drop-in advising hours.