Faculty Led - Nicaragua: Learn Spanish and Volunteer
- Leon, Nicaragua
Cultural Immersion in Nicaragua: Learn Spanish and Volunteer
Program OverviewThis summer program provides an integrative and cultural experience to advance your Spanish skills and immerse in a foreign culture. During the six weeks in the beautiful town of León, you will actively integrate learning, discovery, and engagement. Individual instruction of Spanish allows you to progress in language skills according to your specific needs.
Living with a Nicaraguan family enhances students’ cultural awareness and gives you the opportunity to practice your Spanish in a real life situation. In addition, there are two options for volunteering:
- A youth center that helps underprivileged local children stay in school. Assist with homework, teach English, or play and do other interactive activities.
- A private clinic shadowing doctors and nurses to learn about common third-world and tropical diseases while absorbing the cultural and linguistic interactions between health providers and patients.
Course InformationSPNS 6 credits. Summer Term
- Learn one-on-one Spanish (2 hours/day) at a language school and volunteer (2 hours/day) Monday through Thursday. Students may choose to only take Spanish and not volunteer. In that case they would take 4 hours of Spanish per day.
Dates AbroadJune 24 - August 4, 2017
HousingStudents will live with local host families.
MealsStudents will be provided 3 meals per day by their host family.
- Program fee includes international health insurance, airport transfer service, homestay accomodations, meals, language instruction, and excursion
- Program fee does not include international airfare
Financial AidThis program is eligible for financial aid.
If you intend to apply for financial aid, bring a copy of the Financial Aid Budget Sheet to the Office of Financial Aid Services as soon as possible.
- 2.5 GPA
- Dean of Students Disciplinary Clearance
- No pre-requisite required for language instruction
- SPNS 102 is required to volunteer
|Faculty Leader||Dr. Patricia Catoira|
Modern Languages & Literatures
Application DeadlineWednesday, March 8, 2017
MSU FACULTY LED STUDY ABROAD Application Process
- Meet with Faculty Leader and/or Faculty Led Program Coordinator in the Office of International Programs. Visit the Study Abroad website for Drop-In Advising Hours and to Schedule a Faculty Led Advising Appointment.
- APPLY ONLINE HERE through My Global Connection. A complete application includes:
- $300 Faculty Led Application Fee
- Official Transcript
- Acknowledgement of Faculty Led Participation and Pre-Departure Requirements
- Additional Application Information
- Faculty Led Application Short Essay
- FERPA Information
- Health History Form
- Passport Information
- Complete an interview with the Faculty Leader and the Faculty Led Program Coordinator in the Office of International Programs.
- Upon program acceptance, confirm participation and complete Post-Acceptance Application Materials in My Global Connection.
Faculty Led Program Coordinator
Have questions? Click to see drop-in advising hours.