Students usually have a lot of questions if they are close to suspension status, are currently suspended, are seeking to appeal suspension, or are looking to come back to MSU after a suspension. This guide will hopefully answer many questions students frequently have during this time of their academic career at MSU. 

If after reading this resource you have more questions, please feel free to contact the CLS Academic Services Manager. 

Amanda Smith 
[email protected]
Wilson Hall 2-205


Academic suspension can interrupt your academic plan through a required semester or year break from classes. It is important to understand your academic status, and how your status changes with each semester. 

Suspension occurs when a student continually earns a low GPA (below a 2.0) for multiple semesters. Depending on the term GPA a student earns, a student could be suspended after anywhere from two to four semesters after falling out of "good standing". 

  • A student who was suspended for the first time may be reinstated after one semester has elapsed (exclusive of Summer Session).
  • After a second suspension, one academic year must elapse before the student will be reinstated. Students may complete their intent to register online through their MyInfo account.
  • Students who have received more than two suspensions must petition for reinstatement through their academic dean to the University Scholastic Appeals Board.
  • Reinstated students will be on probation when they re-enroll. When students achieve a term and cumulative GPA of 2.00 and above, the probation designation is removed.
  • Students must have a 2.00 term and cumulative GPA to graduate.

Second Wind

If this is your first academic suspension, you may receive a letter inviting you to participate in the second wind program. 

The second wind program is an option for students that get suspended for the first time. This program allows students to continue with their studies without taking a semester off. 

Students that receive a letter from the provost's office regarding second wind and would like to participate should contact the dean's office (994-4288) to set up a time to speak with the Associate Dean for Student Success, David Cherry. 

  1. Students need to contact the dean's office (994-4288) and speak with Associate Dean Cherry.
  2. After speaking with Dr. Cherry, students will be contacted by an advisor to discuss their academic plan.
  3. Students will also be required to take a 1-credit learning strategies course.  

Appealing a Suspension

In some special cases, students are able to appeal their academic suspension in order to be reinstated sooner then their required semester or year break. 

Suspension appeals must be based on extraordinary and unusual circumstances beyond your control. Please note that poor choices that you may have made which led to poor academic performance are not grounds for appeal. For example, working too many hours, choosing a major not suited to your academic interests or strengths, and making certain social and lifestyle choices can all negatively impact your academic performance, but none of these examples would be deemed extraordinary or beyond your control. 

Please complete the Suspension Appeal Cover Sheet, including:

  • Cover sheet
  • Statement of academic purpose
  • Academic Plan
  • Reference
  • Narrative on extraordinary circumstances
  • Documentation for extraordinary circumstances

Please call 406-994-4288 to schedule an appointment with Associate Dean David Cherry; your packet will need to be completed (or close to it) by the time of your meeting. 

You will submit your completed packet according to the Suspension Appeal Cover Sheet instructions either by email (scanned documents in order), fax, or in person to Amanda Smith in the Dean's Office. For questions on submission, email or call Amanda. This packet needs to be completed and a meeting with Associate Dean Cherry needs to occur before the deadline. Deadlines will be posted each semester when announced. Packets received after the deadline, or packets received without a meeting with Associate Dean Cherry, will unfortunately not be considered.

Amanda Smith ([email protected])
Academic Services Coordinator, Dean’s Office, College of Letters & Science
Phone: 406-994-4288
Fax: 406-994-7580
Office: Wilson Hall 2-205

Suspension appeals are by no means required. If you do not apply for an appeal, or if your appeal is denied, you will be able to register for classes after a semester of sitting out (first suspension) or after an academic year (second suspension). 

After your suspension appeal is submitted to the appropriate Associate Dean's office, it will be provided to the Appeals Board for review, evaluation and decision. The decision will be provided to the Associate Dean and the Registrar. You will then be contacted on your suspension appeal status before the next semester begins, usually by email. 


Students are able to be reinstated either after a successful suspension appeal, or after sitting out for the alloted time described in their suspension notice. 

Upon return from an absence due to suspension, you are expected to meet with an Associate Dean in your Academic College. These meetings serve as a point of contact for you to get oriented in your returning semester, reviewing classes you plan on taking, discussing your academic standing, and connecting you with additional resources if necessary. A hold is placed on your student account to encourage you to schedule and attend this meeting; your Academic Dean will contact the Registrar’s Office to remove this hold once you’ve had a successful meeting.

Call 406-994-4288 to schedule an appointment with David Cherry, the Associate Dean for Student Success in our office. 

It's possible that you will be changing Colleges upon your return. 

If you are planning to change your College, we recommend you contact your “new” Academic College in order to be connected with relevant advising and resources. Let your “new” Dean’s Office know that you are switching Colleges when you set up your appointment so that your hold can be taken care of.

Not sure if you are switching Colleges? Find a list of majors and their Colleges