Traditional BSN Application
We are very excited that you are considering joining the Bobcat Nursing family. We strive to make our application process as easy as possible. Please read the information below, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to reach out to an advisor. We look forward to hearing from you soon!
Traditional BSN nursing students are placed into campus cohort groups (Billings Spring 2020 Cohort above) and advance through the last five semesters of nursing courses together before graduation. It is important to complete the application for placement prior to starting the final semester of prerequisites in order to prevent a semester gap of courses. During this final semester of prerequisites you will receive notice regarding acceptance into the program and campus cohort placement.
June 15 – The NursingCAS Application will be open for placement the following spring semester
August 1 – NursingCAS will be closed at 10pm MST time and urine, drug screen, and background check are due
August 31 – Official transcripts are due through NursingCAS. Summer grades will be calculated in for the Spring application
October 1 – Notification regarding placement in the Spring campus cohort
November 15 – The NursingCAS Application will be open for placement the following fall semester
January 5 – Nursing CAS will be closed at 10pm MT time, Urine, drug screen, and background check are due
January 31 – Official transcripts are due through Nursing CAS. Fall grades will be calculated in for the Fall application
March 1– Notification regarding placement in the Fall campus cohort
Requirements for Application
A calculated GPA of 3.0 or higher in required prerequisite courses.
- Be on track to complete all prerequisites prior to placement start date, with a grade of C- or better ( prerequisites must have been completed within the last 15 years). No more than 2 repeats total across the required prerequisite courses. A grade of “W” counts as a repeat. If you are interested in appealing, please contact an advisor.
- At least 3 of the 5 required natural science courses must be completed with a grade
of C- or better to apply to the nursing program. Those courses are: BIOH 201**, BIOH
211, BIOM 250, CHMY 121 and CHMY 123.
**BIOH 201 (Anatomy and Physiology I) MUST be one of the three completed science courses in order to apply.
- Campus cohort placements will be based on your campus ranking in the application. If you are not offered your 1st campus choice, you may decline your guaranteed placement and request placement on the wait list for the desired campus. If you are not offered initial placement, you may also request a spot on the waitlist. If you are not placed from the waitlist, you may re-apply during the next application period.
There are two required steps to the application process for placement into nursing courses.
- To apply to the BSN Program at MSU you must use the NursingCAS portal, the nursing profession’s online application service. The Traditional BSN application will only be available beginning on June 15th (for Spring placement) and November 15th (for Fall placement).
- Please refer to the MSU NURSINGCAS APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS for assistance while filling out the application.
NURSING CAS portal: https://nursingcas.liaisoncas.org/apply/
2) Clinical Compliance Tracking:
- The second part of the BSN application is fulfilling requirements for clinical compliance. This requires creating an account and submitting documents through the clinical compliance tracking portal. The requirements are done at time of application and annually, thereafter:
- a urine drug screen – due by application deadline
- background check- due by application deadline
- e-learning **
- Immunization **
- CPR - must be American Heart Association (AHA) BLS for Healthcare Providers **
- Proof of Health Insurance **
**These items may be completed after campus cohort placement decisions are made, but must be completed prior to the start of the program, Aug 1 (fall) and Dec 1 for (spring).