Minutes from July 22, 2020
Planning Council Minutes
Wednesday, July 22, 2020
|Members Present:||Members Present:||Others Present:|
|David Eitle||Colin Shaw||Miranda Bly|
|Chris Fastnow||Michael Trotter
|Stephanie Gray||Mike Vasquez||Jason Carter|
||Bradford Watson||Ariel Donohue|
|Terry Leist||Megan Lasso|
|Rob Maher||Richard Rudnicki|
- Welcome and announcements
- Will share results of survey of contacts at other campuses regard COVID-19 modifications in August.
- Approval of minutes from 5/27 and 6/24/20 - approved
- Two self-assessments from units participating in NWCCU process were sent to members. These are part of a self-study that is focused on student outcomes. There will be a university-level assessment group that receives these and determines whether MSU’s mission is fulfilled at an adequate level.
- Are these assessments helpful to the Planning Council? Do members want to see more of these? Chris will share feedback and questions with Tami Eitle.
- Discussion ensued.
- Assessments might be useful to PC for another lens on SP progress.
- Questions about structure for assessment, feedback loops and implications, responsibility for definition of metrics and rubrics
- Suggestions about improvements in the processes and inclusion of participants
- Open discussion: Logan Schultz shared lessons learned from Honors’ experience teaching
an in-person 4x4 course, The Art and Science of Medicine, in June and recommendations
for fall face-to-face classes.
- Students expressed preference for clear masks over shields or cloth masks.
- Clarity scored high on student course assessments.
- Require assigned seats and don’t move the furniture.
- Faculty should count on some students having to self-quarantine for two-weeks during the semester and plan accordingly for flexibility, distance delivery, make-up plans.
- Disability Services is providing some clear masks as appropriate for student accommodations.
- Question about sharing info on a university-sourced provider for clear masks for non-accommodation situations.
- Other business - none
Next meeting: August 26, 1:00-3:00 p.m., WebEx