Grocery Store Pollution Prevention
What is Pollution Prevention?
Pollution prevention simply means reducing the amount of waste you generate by changing the way you do business. Changes include using less hazardous materials, conserving energy and water, improving indoor and outdoor air quality, reusing or recycling leftover materials, and managing waste properly.
The bottom line is pollution prevention can...
- Save you money
- Reduce your regulatory burden
- Create a safer working environment
- Improve your public image
Pollution Prevention Tips
- Purchase supplies in bulk form
- Offer organic produce
- Work with suppliers to reuse pallets and crates
- Offer incentives for reusing shopping bags
- Support recycling by purchasing recycled products
- Recycle cardboard, newspaper, office paper, aluminum cans, etc.
- Encourage patrons to reduce waste, reuse, and recycle
- Service heating, cooling, and ventilation systems regularly
- Turn off lights in unoccupied rooms
- Use energy-efficient lighting
- Fix water leaks right away
- As you wash your hands, turn off water when soaping up
- Compost food waste