Curriculum & Catalog Changes
Students should talk with current advisors before initiating this process.
Steps for Completing a Request
- Click the link below to begin the DocuSign request process.
- Enter your contact information (Name and Email address.)
- In the Current Department fields, enter contact information (Name and Email address) for the department of your current major.
- In the New Department fields, enter contact information (Name and Email address) for the department you wish to make changes in.
- Changing major
- Adding second degree, second major, or minor
- Deleting a second degree, second major or minor
- Click "Begin Signing" to proceed to the request form.
- Enter your name and the last 4 digits of your Student ID number.
- Select the box for the type of degree you are currently seeking.
- Fill in the relevant fields for the type of degree that you are currently seeking. Include your primary major and catalog year (see below) as well as any concentrations, second majors, second degrees, and minors if applicable.
- Fill in the relevant fields for changes you'd like to make to your current degree program (additions, changes, deletions).
- Sign the form via DocuSign. - The Office of the Registrar will receive a copy of your request form for processing upon its completion. You do not need to send a copy.
Once all signatures have been completed via DocuSign, please allow 3-5 business days for processing and view the requested changes in your DegreeWorks.
Request Form Elements
MSU undergraduates who change majors may follow the catalog in effect when they began their freshman year at MSU or any subsequent catalog in effect prior to their graduation, provided there has been no break in attendance of more than one academic year. In these instances, too, the six-year catalog limitation policy applies... it may be necessary to make course substitutions within the department curricular requirements, due to changes in tabulations from year to year; students should consult with their academic advisors about this. The curriculum advisor and department certifying officer make the official check on degree-specific requirements for graduation. The Registrar provides the final check on university requirements: CORE, total credits earned, grade point, cumulative grade point average earned at MSU, as well as university-wide requirements.
Six-Year Catalog Limitation Policy
Each MSU-Bozeman catalog covers a specific time period beginning fall semester of the first year and ending the following summer session. From the time a student enters Montana State University, he or she has six years to fulfill the curricular requirements stated in the catalog in effect when he or she entered. If a student does not complete the requirements in six years, he or she must select a subsequent catalog. This policy applies to all students, including undergraduates who change curriculum and transfer students.
A student may declare a second major by completing a Curriculum & Catalog Changes form. A student may earn a second major by fulfilling the curricular requirements of that major in addition to the requirements of the primary major. The student is not required to complete additional core requirements for the second major since these requirements will be fulfilled with the primary major.
The department of the second major will assign an advisor to assist the student in meeting all the second major's requirements. The second major will be posted on the student’s transcript at the time of graduation and upon verification by the Registrar that all curricular and procedural requirements have been met.
Second Bachelor’s Degree: Second Associate's Degree
To receive two baccalaureate degrees a student must complete all of the requirements for each degree including but not limited to Core/Gen Ed, all major requirements, Capstone Coursework, and 27 of the last 30 credits in residence. In addition to meeting all of the courses required in both curricula the student must complete 30 credits beyond the larger number of credits required for either of the two degrees he or she is seeking. Fifty-one credits (forty-two for the first degree: nine for the second) of the total minimum number of credits required for both degrees must be upper division.
To receive two associate degrees a student must complete all of the curricular requirements for each degree including any in-residence restrictions (generally at least 15 credits). Additionally, a student must complete 15 unique credits; these are credits that are not counted toward the completion of the first degree. Generally, a student who has met the requirements for both associate degrees who has at least 75 credits the last 15 of which are completed at Montana State University could be considered for a second associate degree.
A student must declare his or her intentions of seeking a minor(s), by submitting a completed Curriculum & Catalog Changes form prior to submitting a graduation application. Minor's must be linked to a baccalaureate degree. A student must be seeking or have already received an MSU baccalaureate degree to declare a minor(s). The minimum number of credits required for a minor is twenty-one, with nine of those being upper-division credits. A student may not receive a minor in the same discipline as their major(s). There are two categories of minors:
Teaching minors must be approved by the certifying officer in the Education Department.
Non-teaching minors must be approved by the certifying officer in the related department.