Housing Priority Selection
Begins January 9, 2019 at 9am MST
*Returning Student Applications will be capped at 1,100 or 5pm on Friday, January 18, 2019, whichever comes first. All applications received after 1,100 applications or January 18 will be placed on a waitlist for housing.
Housing Priority Selection is a process offered to all current residence hall students to apply and sign-up for their 2018-2019 room assignment. Applications are assigned on a first-come first-serve basis after the priority deadline.
Room Self Selection and Completing a 2019-2020 Application
- How do I create or reset my password to log into the housing application?
Enter yourPreferred Email (the email you have selected in My Info as your preferred email).
- Click Forgotten or New Password.
- Check your preferred email for a message containing a link to set your password.
- Set your password and log-In.
- When I type in my email address and click on Forgotten or New Password but I receive
an error message, what do I need to do?
- This means that Residence Life has a different preferred email address than you use and you will need to go to MyInfo to check your preferred email or change your preferred email address so that you can log into the application. Please note that any changes made in MyInfo take up to 24 hours to be reflected in the application so if you want to log in immediately please contact Residence Life (406-994-2661).
- I can’t log into the portal. Help!
- Are you clicking on Register or Log In? Make sure you are clicking on Log In!
- Do you remember your preferred email? You can look it up in MyInfo or you can call the Residence Life Housing Office at 406-994-2661 and we can help you figure that out. Once you know your preferred email, you can enter that and hit forgot password button. This will send a password reset link to your preferred email address and you can reset your password to something that you will remember.
- Helpful Hint: Username = preferred email
- What should I do to make sure that everything is set up and ready to go when my window
of time opens up?
- Complete an application for the 2019-2020 academic year between January 9th-18th!
- If you want to live with a specific roommate or group of roommates, make sure your group discusses in advance who will be the group leader and who has the best assignment time slot. Make sure everyone has completed a housing application by January 18th.
- If you are signing up with a roommate group, make sure you have discussed and communicated in advance which halls and room types you are willing to live in and your back up plan if your first preference falls through.
- Make sure you complete your online profile and update any preferences you may want for the following year.
- Make sure you have a few back up spaces in mind in case you find that your preferred spot has been taken.
- What do I do if I just want my same room as this year?
- You won’t need to do anything but complete the 2019-2020 application and select your room. However if you change your mind, you can go and select a different room during the self-selection time period using the Room Change page (see more information below)
Roommate Groups and Group Leaders
- What is a roommate group and how can I add people to it? What if I can’t find a specific
person to send a request?
- You can be in one roommate group at a time. If you want to switch groups you will have to log in to the portal and remove yourself from your current group before you can be added to another group.
- The first question to ask about your specific person request is if they have started an application for the term you are applying for? If they haven’t started an application for the same term, then you won’t be able to search for them to send a roommate request.
- Second, if they have started an application for the same term, check to see if one of you chose Mixed Gender Housing. If one of you did and the other didn’t, then you must edit your profiles to match.
- What are the group leader responsibilities?
- The group leader bears the responsibility of setting up the group, adding all the members, and selecting the room for themselves and everyone in their group. This person should be the person with the earliest assigned selection timeslot but should also be someone you can count on to complete these tasks for your group. As a group, you should decide ahead of time who will be taking the singles and doubles in the suite or apartment if that is applicable. NOTE: Gallatin has 2 bedroom suites (1 double room and 2 single rooms per suite). RLA has 2 and 3 bedroom apartments with combinations of double rooms and singles within that apartment.)
- What happens if my group leader doesn’t select the room in time or tries to select
and the room has already been taken?
- This is why you need a backup plan! Once the selection process is over and it is confirmed that you didn’t receive your first preference, each member of your group can submit a waitlist request for your preferred selection. Often times we will have cancelations and we will try to accommodate these requests as the spaces become available. Please note: If all of the members of your group don’t submit this waitlist request, requests will be incomplete and may not be accommodated.
- As a group you should also discuss what your back up plan is if you want a 3 or 4 bedroom suite and that isn’t available when you are choosing your spaces. Would you want to pair up and assign yourselves to doubles in a different hall or would you want to look at some other option. NOTE: The group leader can only assign people to the same room. If you have to go to your plan B then the group leader won’t be able to assign everyone. Make sure you are communicating well with your group!
- Someone I don’t want to live with sent me a request to join their roommate group,
what do I do? I don’t want them to know that I don’t want to live with them.
- You are in no way obligated to accept roommate group requests if you don’t want to. Please decline the request so that the requester can choose another roommate option.
- My friends and I signed up to live together and got our preferred option during the
selection process. Now they want to live off campus but I still plan to live on. What
are my options?
- You have a few options. 1) You can put in a request for new roommates if you have someone else in mind that you want to live with. 2) You can submit a waitlist request to live somewhere else on campus if your preferences have changed. 3) You can do nothing and we will assign new roommates to the empty spaces in your room.
- What happens if I don’t select a roommate group or select a room during the selection
- If you complete a 2019-2020 application but don’t choose a room during the selection process, we will assign you a room based on the application your completed.
Priority Deadline and Changes after Self-Selection
- Can I apply after the priority deadline?
- While you can apply after the priority deadline, you will not be guaranteed housing. You will be placed on a waitlist. Vacancies will be evaluated as cancellations are received and applications on the waitlist may or may not be able to be accommodated. If you believe you will need housing for the 2019-2020 school year, it is best to apply prior to the housing priority deadline.
- What happens if I select a room and then change my mind within the selection period?
- You can log into the application again and use the Room Change page to change your selection.
- What happens if I select a room and then change my mind AFTER the selection period
- You will need to log into the portal and submit a waitlist request for the options you hope change to. Please remember that waitlist requests are honored based on your original application date and it is not a guarantee that we will be able to honor the change.
- January 9, 2019 - - Housing Application opens for returners
- Complete applications, select roommate groups, select same room if you wish)
- January 18, 2019 - - Housing Priority Deadline for returners
- January 23- 25, 2019 - - Preview Available rooms
- January 28- January 31, 2019 - - Self Selection is Active and available according to assigned
- This is when group leaders make assignments or you select your room space for the following year.
- February 1 - February 28, 2019 - - Returners can submit waitlist requests if they didn’t get their desired space.
- March 1, 2019 - - New student assigning begins
- March 29, 2019 - - Last day to cancel housing assignment WITHOUT financial penalty of the cancellation fee