Annually, a number of faculty, staff and students travel to foreign countries for MSU business purposes. The state Risk Management & Tort Defense Division (RMTD) secured a separate package of insurance benefits to cover MSU-affiliated international travel. In accordance with Board of Regents policy, all international travelers are required to register his/her travel with the university’s International Travel Registry. This registry is found on the website of the MSU Office of International Programs. MSU Safety & Risk Management no longer collects information from travelers with regard to international travel.


In addition, we highly recommend that international travelers enroll in the Smart Travelers Enrollment Program (STEP) at the link below. You may also enroll by contacting the US Embassy or Consulate at your destination. Enrollment in this program allows the Embassy or Consulate to better assist you in case of emergency:

Smart Travelers Enrollment Program (STEP)


University employees planning international travel should consult with the MUS Employee Benefits Plan about its international travel benefits program. MEDEX Travel Assist offers a wide-ranging program of information, referral, coordination and assistance services. This coverage is available to employees that are participants in the MUS Group Life Insurance Plan. You are automatically enrolled with MEDEX for travel duration less than 90 days. International travel duration beyond 90 days requires the employee to enroll prior to departure. See the following links for additional information and forms:


Expatriate-over 90 Days Form

Vehicle Liability Insurance

The laws of many foreign countries require the purchase of local vehicle insurance. MSU employees who are traveling outside of the United States must purchase local vehicle liability insurance at the minimum limits in accordance with the laws of the local jurisdiction they are traveling to. When employees rent/lease a vehicle they need to make sure that their name, together with Montana State University, is listed as the lessor/named insured on the rental agreement. Otherwise, the rental car company may pursue damages from the individual as opposed to the university. The state’s international vehicle liability insurance program is ‘contingent’ (i.e. coverage is excess of locally required coverage). Contingent coverage may not be available if local insurance requirements have not been satisfied.  

Vehicle Comprehensive/Collision Coverage

We advise our travelers to take advantage of the free vehicle comprehensive/collision coverage provided by VISA worldwide for university travelers who charge his/her travel fare to their university credit card. For additional information about the free coverage offered by VISA, please visit the state Risk Management & Tort Defense Division’s website at Travelers are reminded NOT to purchase the optional vehicle comprehensive/collision coverage offered by rental car companies unless it is required by local law or they do not have a university credit card in his/her name.

For additional information with regard to international travel insurance coverage, contact MSU Safety & Risk Management at (406) 994-6888 or [email protected].


Revision date: June 16, 2016