May 15, 2019 Minutes
Ramie Pederson, James Patten,* Glen Steinhoff,
MSU Benefits Outreach & Engagement UFPB, Parking Appeals Service Maintenance
Gini Mohr,* Wendy Minster Andrew
Board David Reese,
Student Affairs Off Campus Skilled Craft Budget Council
Blaine Taylor, Steven Doner, Katherine
Owens, Gina Taylor,
Service Maintenance Classified Prof. Personnel Board, MUSSA Clerical/Secretarial
Dorie Seymour, Milana Lazetich, Jennifer
Nesbitt, Joe Robbins,
Clerical/Secretarial Tech/Paraprofessional Rec. & Sports, MUSSA Skilled Craft
Sarah Rieger, Candace Mastel, Ron Brekke, Minutes taken by Lisa Hespen,
MSU Benefits PTAC, Class. Prof. IUBC Program Coordinator
Logistics Coord. CSAC Membership Liasion UFPB- Public Arts
Research Outreach & Engagement Classified Prof, PCSUW MSU Benefits
Chair Archivist Service Maintenance Tech/Paraprofessional
Staff Senate Minutes
Wednesday, May 15, 2019
9:00 - 11:00 a.m.
SUB, Rm. #168
I. Call to Order
- The meeting was called to order by Chair Ramie Pederson.
II. Approval of Minutes
- The April 2017 Minutes were approved.
III. New Business
- Guest Speakers:
- UPD: Representatives from UPD came to discuss the upcoming changes to parking services at MSU. Information will be sent out to campus as they get closer to completion of the improvements. The changes will be implemented on August 1, 2019. For more information please visit http://www.montana.edu/parking/upcomingparkingchanges.html.
IV. MUSSA Information
- Staff Satisfaction Results: All the campuses had a lot of responses and comments to the survey. The data is being analyzed and therefore a concise report is not yet available. Overall, most employees are satisfied with their overall job, benefits, flexibility of their schedules, and are proud of their employment and the work they are providing. Areas that need improvement include ability for advancement, workload/turnover, and feeling valued and supported.
V. Informational Items
- Staff Senate Scholarship Update: the fundraising subcommittee has drafted a letter to potential donors and are working on the delivery method.
- Reorganization Discussion: Montana State University All Staff Council (MSUASC) received the most votes for the name of the new staff governance. The next step for the PCSSR Committee will be to work on the structure of the organization. It was noted the main challenge will be to come up with a new structure. It was also noted committees that currently have Professional Council and/or Staff Senate representatives will be receiving notification of these changes. It was iterated that no one will be guaranteed a position on the new governance and will need to be elected during the open elections. There will not be any division regarding professional staff vs. classified staff.
There was some discussion regarding communication with some members feeling they had been told two different things. Some members voiced disapproval of the choice of merging being taken away from them. The PCSSR members discussed issues that were brought up with their meeting with the President. Chair Ramie Pederson pledged to make sure all concerns were addressed and further noted that he felt this was the right path and will ultimately be of great value to staff. It was further noted that this has been a challenging issue and everyone is trying their best to make sure this works and people’s concerns are addressed and resolved.
VI. Committee Reports
- ASGL Association of Shared Governance Leaders (academic year) – Ramie Pederson/Erika Matsuda – did not meet.
- Budget Council – David Reese/Martha Peters – did not meet.
- CSAC Campus Sustainability Advisory Council – Robert Eichenberger/Micaela Young – not present.
- MSU Benefits - Kerri Marx, Ramie Pederson, and Sarah Rieger & IUBC - Ron Brekke – this group will be busy this summer due to the request for proposal (RFP) process for medical benefits.
- Outreach & Engagement Council – Mark Magee/Amy Stix – not present.
- Parking Appeals – Glen Steinhoff/Erin Macdonald/Andrew Shepardson – people are angry.
- PTAC Parking & Transportation Advisory - Candace Mastel/Jen Joyce – nothing to report.
- Personnel Board – Katherine Owens – did not meet.
- Planning Council – Kasia Maison/Deborah Barkley – not present.
- President's Commission on the Status of University Women – Kasia Maison/Yvonne Rudman – not present.
- Recreational Sports and Fitness Advisory Board (academic year) - Jennifer Nesbitt – held their last meeting until fall. Bubbles were approved for the tennis court and a group will be traveling to other campuses to get ideas for construction of the new gym. Two bubbles will be provided and though they will have restrooms, there will be no locker rooms.
- Space Management - Milana Lazetich/Betsy Asserson – this committee met to discuss Romney Hall and it was noted staff will be moved out of Romney during the construction. Locations where staff will be moved to include the Harrison Dining Hall. The goal is to have everyone moved out of Romney by July 21st.
- Tobacco Free Task Force – Katelynne Cowart – did not meet.
- UFPB University Facilities Planning Board – Glen Steinhoff/David Kack – also discussed the bubble structures for the tennis courts as well as parking signs.
- UFPB Public Arts Committee– Keely Holmes – not present.
- University Council– Ramie Pederson/Erika Matsuda – Kim spoke to the group regarding Shakespeare in the Parks, which also includes schools. The troupe will be travelling around Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho throughout the year. This organization is privately funded and free to the public.
VII. Updates and Other Business
- Luncheon w/ President Cruzado: The annual luncheon with the President will be today at noon in Leigh Lounge.
- Spring Social: The Professional Council’s spring social will be tomorrow at 4:30 p.m. in the SUB. Classified staff are welcome to attend. Bowling and refreshments will be provided.
- We will need volunteers to help with Catapalooza.
VIII. Public Comment
Meeting was adjourned at 10:56 a.m.
Next Meeting: June 19, 2019 9:00 - 11:00 a.m. in ABB, Rm. #138