University Information Technology is committed to guaranteeing your move goes as smoothly as possible. Due to multiple constraints, UIT cannot delay migrations of data.
UIT does not recommend faculty, staff or students moving data themselves. Although migration can seem as simple as dragging and dropping files, there are some issues that could cause data to not move over correctly. UIT's objective is to work with SkySync to not only move your data, but also preserve the original author, versions of a file, retain collaborators, folder structure, permissions and more.
If you choose to move your data yourself instead of through UIT's migration process, the department stresses you will be responsible to ensure all files are moved successfully. Individuals will need to mediate any issues that arise, reestablish all collaborators and appropriate permissions, handle putting Box Notes into Microsoft Word and more.
Here are steps you can take now to help make that will happen:
Familiarize yourself with the Microsoft 365 environment
- Users should research how Microsoft 365 products can collaborate with your colleagues and coworkers. From the office to on the road, you can keep in touch with your team. Training links can be found at https://www.montana.edu/office365/collaborate.html.
Beginning Spring 2022, start all new collaborating efforts in Microsoft 365
- This will help ensure that when the Box migration begins in January it will not impact those new efforts. In order to avoid disruption to existing collaboration processes in Box, we will continue to create new Box accounts for students, faculty and staff until the last day of the fall semester, Dec. 16, 2021.
- Training links can be found at https://www.montana.edu/office365/collaborate.html.
Trainings and Questions
Attend UIT weekly training sessions
- Microsoft Mondays is a series covering varying topics related to Microsoft OneDrive, SharePoint and more. Each month covers an overarching topic and weekly meetings break them down. Microsoft Mondays is held every week from noon to 1 p.m. via Microsoft Teams. For more information or to register visit montana.edu/uit/microsoftmonday.html.
- Every Thursday, Josh Turner of UIT User Services will host Q&A sessions related to the Box transition. Sessions will be held noon to 1 p.m. via Microsoft Teams.
Visit Box transition FAQ website
- UIT has a dedicated webpage to frequently asked questions regarding the Box transition. If you have any questions make sure to review the FAQ page first at https://www.montana.edu/uit/boxtransition/box_transition_test/new_faq.html.
- If you cannot find the answer to your question in the FAQ or other materials, please submit your question by selecting the Submit FAQ feedback button at the bottom of the page.
- If your department would like to meet with a Box Transition team member to discuss additional options or special processes you have built around Box, complete your request at https://forms.office.com/.
If you have already copied your Box data into another location, please submit an email to the Service Desk at helpdesk.montana.edu and state you do not need to be part of the migration. If you do not, and anything still resides in your Box account, it will be migrated and you may end up with duplicates which can cause confusion.
Don't hesitate to ask for help or clarification. We are here to help and make this as smooth a transition as possible.