How to Find Your Mac's Computer Name, IP, and MAC Address
Use the instructions below to help locate the IP address, computer name, and MAC address on your Mac desktop or laptop.
NOTE on Names: As you'll see below, a Mac's computer name is referred to as NetBIOS name. In addition,
the MAC in MAC address* stands for Media Access Control and not Macintosh.
*On older OS versions the Mac Address will be referred to as Ethernet ID.
To find IP address:
- Open the Apple menu by clicking the icon in the top left corner of display. Select System Preferences (see image below).
- Click the Network icon (see image below).
- Make sure Ethernet (or Thunderbolt Ethernet) is selected in the left sidebar. Your
IP address will be displayed in field on right (see red box in image below).
To find computer name:
Continuing from the Network window shown above (steps 1-3)
- Click the Advanced button (see red circle in image above).
- Click the WINS tab (see image below), the NetBIOS name is your computer name (circled in red below).
To find MAC address
Continuing from location above: