Things to Consider
- Complete a Telework agreement with your HR team? Contact your HR admin or your HR Business Partner.
- Forward your desk phone - This must be done from your phone before you leave campus.
- Screenshot of your folder paths, Opal, Knox, if you will be working on a different computer. If you are taking a laptop or desktop home, you will not need to do this.
- Computer, laptop or desktop with monitor.
- If your current primary workstation is a laptop, you are in great shape, most likely you won't have any issues with connections or necessary software. If you don't have a laptop, and need to work remotely, please contact your *Departmental IT or email the service desk and they will help find the resources you need.
- If using a personal computer, you can download most of the necessary applications from our UIT Software site, or you can Remote Desktop from your home computer.
- Software for personal computers
- Phone or access to your voicemail from another phone
- Computer audio - to help maximize the capabilities of our online collaboration tools, a headset or earbuds with mic . This will be useful for online meetings, Teams phone calls, virtual rooms.
- Printer - you may or may not need a printer in your remote work.
- Scanner - if you have or need one.
- Files - If you have any paper files that you need, be sure to collect them, or scan them into a suitable storage location that you can access remotely.
What else ?
You will need to have access to high speed internet and most likely have the MSU VPN installed on your device.
If you do not have high speed internet, you are likely to see a delayed response compared to what you are accustomed to while on campus. What may have take 5-10 seconds on campus, may now take 30-60 seconds depending on your connection. Be sure to check in with your internet provider to see if there is anything that they can do to help.
Why Yes! there are. MSU offers licenses for all Students, Faculty and Staff for Office 365, Webex and Box that provide a suite of applications that can be used on the web, on your desktop or mobile to device and allow your team to work together. For a full listing of available applications, access and tutorials start with the Collaboration card on UIT's ITAnywhere site.
Microsoft Teams & WebEx Team work similarly as each other. Both are good for one-on-one chats, group chats or Team conversations. You can also call another user within the application whether they are on the desktop, web, or Mobile app. Screen sharing is available from both applications. See the Collaboration card on the IT Anywhere homepage for further information.
WebEx Meetings is MSU's supported online meeting application . This is a more formalized online meeting environment compared to Microsoft Teams or WebEx Teams. See MSU's WebEx page for more info.