Montana State University is a regionally accredited institution through the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
NWCCU now uses a seven-year cycle for accreditation. Due dates vary by institution, but for MSU the self-study reports are due as follows:
- Year One - Standard One: Mission, Core Themes, and Expectations (2011)
- Year Three - Standard Two: Resources and Capacity (2013)
- Year Five (2015)
- Standard Three: Institutional Planning
- Standard Four: Effectiveness and Improvement
- Year Seven - Standard Five: Mission Fulfillment, Adaptation, and Sustainability (2017)
A great many people throughout the university are invovled in all aspects of the accreditation process.