Applying to MSU!
Students are encouraged to apply early to ensure a smooth transition to MSU. If you have questions about the admission requirements or application process, please contact the Office of Admissions. Check out the online Cat Checklist to determine what other steps you still need to complete to become an MSU Student.
Students may apply for admission at any time without all the necessary required materials. Applicants will be notified of missing or incomplete documents needed to complete the admissions process.
Undergraduate Admission Requirements
- Admission as an Undergraduate Student
- Obtaining Undergraduate Admission Forms
- Campus Visitation Opportunities
- Freshmen (first-time undergraduates)
- Transfer Students
- Evaluation of Transfer Credits
- International Undergraduate Students
- Canadian Undergraduates
- Early Admission
- Dual Enrollment
- Non-Degree Undergraduate
- Former MSU Students
- Appeal of Admission Decision
- Leader's Edge application
- Annual Campus Security Report and Crime Statistics
- Withdrawing an Application
See the full MSU Catalog at http://catalog.montana.edu/.
Several application alternatives are available to students interested in applying for undergraduate admission to MSU-Bozeman.
- Online Application Form: Freshmen, Transfer, International, Non-Degree, and Second-Degree (post-baccalaureate) students may complete the online application form which is electronically submitted directly to MSU.
- Undergraduate Application Form: This is a large pdf file (1.45 MB) which can be download and printed. A pdf file of instructions for completing the form is also available.
- International Undergraduate Application Form: This undergraduate application should be completed by applicants who are not U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents of the U.S.
- MSU Transfer Application Form: Complete this form if you are transferring from MSU-Billings, MSU-Northern, or Great Falls College MSU.
- Form to Request Information: Use this online form to request a mailed catalog, application form, and information about financial aid, housing, and student services.
For assistance with any of the applications, please contact the Office of Admissions; if doing so by mail or email, be sure to include name, address, and phone number. For information on applying to graduate programs, please visit The Graduate School's website.
The "Leader's Edge" application is an application that is very similar to our regular
MSU application for admission. The only difference is that we will "pre populate"
all the information on the Leader's Edge application so it is easier for the student
to fill out as much of their information is already filled out for them. This application
is sent to students who we feel would make great additions to Montana State University,
have expressed an interest in Montana State University, and also an interest in an
environment similar to what Bozeman has to offer through our outdoor recreation and
town atmosphere. There is no cost difference between the Leader's Edge Application
and our normal on-line application which can be found at http://catalog.montana.edu/undergraduate-admissions/#Obtaining_Undergraduate_Application_Forms as both are a $36 application fee. Once students apply with either application and
have their test scores sent to MSU, we can proceed with the consideration of scholarships.
Montana State University's annual security report is available online at http://www2.montana.edu/policy/security_report/. This is a report required by federal law and contains policy statements and crime
statistics for the university. The policy statements address the school's policies,
procedures and programs concerning safety and security, including crime prevention,
fire safety, university police authority, crime reporting policies, sexual assault
policies and other matters of importance related to safety and security. IF you would
like to receive the combined Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report, you may
request a printed copy be mailed to you by sending a request to Office of Legal Counsel,
Room 211 Montana Hall, Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana 59717 or calling
To withdraw your application please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name and date of birth.