- Research Interests
- Employment History
- Creative Works
- Terrific Students
- Extracurricular Activities
Are you interested in becoming a research assistant?
If you are and want more information, feel free to contact me.
Cobleigh Hall 214
Civil Engineering Department
Montana State University
Bozeman, MT 59717
|Ph.D.||Civil Engineering||University of Texas at Austin
|M.S.||Civil Engineering||Beijing University of Technology
|B.S.||Civil Engineering||Beijing University of Technology
- Sustainable transportation planning
- Traffic safety modeling
- Economic impact analysis
- Time-space travel behavior forecasting
- Land use modeling
- Spatial statistics & econometrics
- Geographic information systems (GIS)
- Regional science
- Assistant Professor, Montana State University, Bozeman; Aug. 2013 - Present
- Graduate Research Assistant, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX; Aug. 2009 - July 2013
- Research Assistant, Industrial Engineering Department, Polytechnic University of Madrid, Spain; Mar. - Sept. 2009
- Forsyth*, S., Stephens, J., and Wang, Y. (2014) Link-Level Traffic Flow Estimation of Agricultural Products. Presented at the 94th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, Washington D.C., January 2015, and forthcoming in Transportation Research Record.
- Bansal*, P., Kockelman, K., and Wang, Y. (2014) Hybrid Electric Vehicle Ownership and Fuel Economy across Texas: Application of Spatial Models. Presented at the 94th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, Washington D.C., January 2015, and forthcoming in Transportation Research Record.
- Chen*, D., Wang, Y., and Kockelman, K. (2013) Where Are the Electrical Vehicles? A Spatial Model for Vehicle-Choice Count Data. Compendium of the Transportation Research Board’s 93rd Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, January 2014. Forthcoming in the Journal of Transport Geography.
- Wang, Y. and Kockelman, K. (2013) A Poisson-Lognormal Multivariate Conditional-Autoregressive Model for Spatial Analysis of Area-Level Pedestrian Crashes. Accident Analysis & Prevention 60: 71-84.
- Wang, Y., Kockelman, K., & Damien, P. (2013) A Spatial Autoregressive Multinomial Probit Model for Anticipating Land Use Change in Austin, Texas. Annals of Regional Science 52(1): 251-278. Presented at the 13th International Association Travel Behavior Research Conference, in Toronto (2012).
- Wang, Y., Kockelman, K., & Wang, X. (2013) The Impact of Weight Matrices on Parameter Estimation & Inference: A Case Study of Binary Response Using Land Use Data. Journal of Transportation and Land Use 6 (3). Presented at the 58th North American Regional Science Association International (RSAI) Conference, Miami, Florida. November 2013.
- Wang, Y., Kockelman, K., & Wang, X. (2013) Understanding Spatial Filtering for Analysis of Land Use Data Sets. Journal of Transport Geography 31: 123-131. Presented at the 58th North American Regional Science Association International (RSAI) Conference, Miami, Florida.
- Wang, Y., Kockelman, K., & Wang, X. (2011) Anticipating Land Use Change Using Geographically Weighted Regression Models for Discrete Response. Transportation Research Record No. 2245: 111-123. Presented at the 90th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board.
- Wang, Y., Sharda*, S., Wang, H. (2015) Intersection Pedestrian Safety Analysis: A Systemic Selection Approach. Submitted for presentation at the Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting, January 2015, and publication at the Transportation Research Record.
- Wang, Y., Veneziano, D., Russell, S., and Al-Kaisy, A. (2015) Traffic Safety along Tourist Routes in Rural Areas. Submitted for presentation at the Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting, January 2015, and publication at the Transportation Research Record.
- Villwock-Witte, N., Wang, Y., and Clouser, K. (2015) Transportation Trends of Millennials in Rural Contexts: A Synthesis and a National Household Travel Survey Model. Submitted for presentation at the Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting, January 2015, and publication at the Transportation Research Record.
- Wang, Y., Wu, H., and Matsuda*, M. (2015) Health Impacts of Active Transportation in Rural Communities.Submitted for presentation at the Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting, January 2015, and publication at the Transportation Research Record.
- Wang, Y. (2014) The Effects of Socio-Economic and Transportation Accessibility on Area-Level Diabetes Counts: A Latent-Variable Structural Equation Model Approach. Under review at the Journal of Transportation and Health. Presented at the Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C., January 2015, and Moving Active Transportation to Higher Ground, Washington D.C., April 2015.
- Wang, H., Palm*, M., Wang, Y., Vogt*, R., and Muller*, J. (2014) Evaluating Bicycle Level of Traffic Stress for Predicting Household Demand for Cycling and Walking in Small/Medium Sized Cities. Under reviews at the Journal of Transport Geography. Presented at the 94th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board.
- Wang, Y., Kockelman, K., and Damien, P. (2015) A Multivariate Spatial Analysis for Anticipating New Firm Counts. Advances in Econometrics Conference, October 9 -11, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- Xu*, J., Kockelman, K., and Wang, Y. (2013) Modeling Crash and Fatality Counts along Mainlanes and Frontage Roads across Texas: The Roles of Design, the Built Environment, and Weather. Compendium of the Transportation Research Board’s 93rd Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, January 2014.
- Wang, Y. and Kockelman, K. (2012) A Univariate Spatial Count Model for Pedestrian Crashes across Neighborhoods. Compendium of the 92nd Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board.
- Wang, Y., Sun, X., and Melcher, D. (2008) Statistical Cause Analysis and Potential Countermeasures for Commercial Motor Vehicle Collisions in China. Presented at the 1st International Symposium on Transportation & Development Innovative Best Practices, Beijing, China.
- Wang, Y., Rong, J., and Qiao, J. (2007) Quantification of Driver Stress and Its Influence Factors. Presented at the Workshop of International Cooperation on Theories & Concepts in Traffic Safety, Beijing, China.
- A Spatial Autoregressive Multinomial Probit Model for Anticipating Land Use Change in Austin, Texas. Presented at the Garrison Dissertation Award Session, Association of American Geographers Annual Meeting, April 12 – 17, 2015, Tampa, Florida.
- Research Seminar. Computer Science Department. MSU. October, 2013
- Research Seminar. Statistics Department. MSU. November, 2013
- Garrison Award for Best Dissertation in Computational Geography, Association of American Geographers 2014
- Honorary mention in Pikarsky Award for Best PhD Dissertation, Council of University Transportation Center, TRB 2014
- UT nominee to compete in the International Road Federation (IRF) Scholar Program 2013
- UT Austin Department of Civil, Architectural, & Environmental Engineering’s Robert Herman Endowed Scholarship 2013
- Women’s Transportation Seminar’s Heart of Texas Helene M. Overly Memorial Scholarship 2011
- UT Austin’s Graduate Student Professional Development Award 2011
- Regional Science Association International’s Student Paper Awards Winner 2010
- Beijing University of Technology (BJUT)’s Graduate students’ Excellence in Research Award 2008
- BJUT’s Excellence in Graduate Coursework Award 2007
- BJUT’s Outstanding Graduate Award 2006
- BJUT’s Top Grade Scholarship (the highest academic recognition for undergraduate students) 2005
- Outstanding Undergraduate Student of Beijing, awarded by Beijing Municipal Commission of Education 2004
|Montana Department of Transportation (DOT)||Identifying Disparities in Definitions of Heavy Trucks||$34,964||PI
(Co-PI K. Clouser)
|Small Urban and Rural Livability Center (SURLC)||A Systemic Pedestrian Safety Planning Tool for Small Urban/Rural Areas||$146,460||PI||2015.8 -2017.7|
|Pooled fund (multiple state DOT's and SURLC)||Mobility Mindset of Millennials in Small Urban and Rural Areas||$110,000||Co-PI
(with N. Villwock-Witte)
|Electric Power Research Institute||Risk Maps: Phase II||$150,000||Co-PI
(with N. Ward)
|Faculty Excellence Grant||Towards an Integrated Research Experience for Undergraduate Students||$5,000||PI||2015.9 -2016.8|
|CFAC (Computer Fee Allocation Committee) Proposal||Acquiring TransCAD licenses||$5,000||PI||2014.2|
|Amir Jamali (Ph.D.)||Sp 2018||SURLC|
|Fahmid Hossein (Master’s)||Sp 2016 (co-advised with A. Al-Kaisy)||MDT|
|Shivam Sharda (Master’s)||F 2016||EPRI|
|Shane Forsythe (Master's)||Sp 2014 (co-advised with J. Stephens)||MDT|
|Anita Ratcliffe||Sp 2014||USP|
|Meia Matsuda||S 2014||REU|
|Isaac Jimenez||S 2014||REU|
|Kevin Burt||Sp 2015||Multiple state DOT’s and SURLC|
|Cody West||Sp 2015||--|
|Josh Taylor||S 2015||BRIDGES|
Hometown: Gwalior, India
- Traveling to new places
- Playing Cricket, Soccer and Table Tennis
Hometown: Comilla, Bangladesh
Hometown: Isfahan, Iran
- Optimization Modeling
- Simulation in Transportation
- Intelligent Transportation Systems
- Transportation Safety
Hometown: Butte, MT
- Hiking and Backpacking
- Water Activities
- Nature Photography
- playing Base
Hometown: Butte, MT
- Visiting New Places
- Trying New Things
ITE Intermountain Conference 2015, Jackson Hole, WY.
Dinner at Lift, Jackson Hole, WY, May 2015
|ECIV 456: Highway Geometric Design, MSU||Fall 2015|
|ECIV 454: Transportation Planning, MSU||Spring 2015|
|ECIV 491: Transport Data Collection & Analysis, MSU||Spring 2014|
|ECIV 350: Transportation Engineering, MSU||Fall 2013, 2014|
CV in PDF form
Adobe Reader Required for PDF Pages