Montana State University
Montana State University > University Communications > Trademarks & Licensing: Frequently Asked Questions

Trademarks & Licensing: Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is the purpose of the Trademark and Licensing Policy?
    The University owns certain trademarks and trade names and this is how we protect our assets. The university trademark and licensing policy helps us monitor the presentation of designs, protect our trademarks, and receive the appropriate compensation for their usage.
  2. What trademarks are registered?
    • Montana State University
    • Montana State
    • MSU
    • Mountains & Minds
    • Bobcats
    • Cats
    • Fighting Bobcats
    • Champ
    • Brawl of the Wild
    • Go Gats
    • Gold Rush
    • Trout U
  3. What products are subject to royalty fees?
    A product is generally subject to royalty fees if a University Trademark is utilized and the product is available to the general public.
  4. Are student groups exempt?
    No, but a student group may request an exemption from paying royalties if the item being produced is for internal use (ie. not for sale to the general public). Requests for exemption must be submitted in writing to Licensing Director, University Communications.
  5. My student group wants to design a t-shirt utilizing a trademarked logo. Do I need to approve the design?
    Yes, students must submit a proposed t-shirt design to University Licensing director for approval. All outside vendors must be approved to use the trademarks even if you are producing it for a university-affiliated group.
  6. I have an idea for a new merchandise product. How do I become a licensee?
    Work directly with the Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC). If you have a new product idea you can submit a New Product inquiry form. They can also guide you through the process of submitting an application to become a licensee. Visit the CLC website and click the "downloads" button for an application. Their site can be found at:
  7. Who can produce MSU gear?
  8. Who do you call for information?
    Julie Kipfer, Licensing Director, Montana State University
    PO Box 172220, Bozeman, MT 59717
    406-994-5737 Fax: 406-994-4102