Montana State University is dedicated to ensuring an environment of non-discrimination and equal opportunity in its education programs and employment opportunities in compliance with state and federal laws. The Office of Institutional Equity supports the University’s goals by promoting an inclusive, diverse and supportive environment for external members of the campus community and our employees and students to excel regardless of their race, color, national origin (ancestry), sex, sexual preference/orientation, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, marital or parental status, age, creed, religion or political beliefs, mental or physical disability, genetic information or status as a veteran.
The staff of the Office of Institutional Equity is committed to the mission of Montana State University to provide excellence in teaching and learning to students and to provide a working atmosphere for staff and faculty that supports inclusion and embraces recognizing the differences among all individuals in the University community regardless of their status or participation. The Office of Institutional Equity staff supports providing a climate that allows people to find opportunities to reach their full potential through awareness, education and training programs that promotes individual responsibility toward acceptance and recognition of all persons regardless of culture or ethnic backgrounds.
To fulfill its mission, the Office of Institutional Equity:
- Leads investigations into complaints of discrimination, harassment and sexual violence by promptly organizing an impartial and administrative review and, if necessary, recommends equitable resolutions into complaints;
- Serves as the designated office responsible for coordinating the University's compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 including oversight of complaints of sex discrimination and sexual violence and identifying and addressing any patterns or systemic problems that arise during the review of such complaints;
- Develops and delivers detailed educational programs concerning discrimination, harassment, sexual violence, affirmative action, diversity, inclusion and respectful workplace conduct;
- Writes the Affirmative Action Plan and program to comply with Federal requirements;
- Monitors Affirmative Action goals;
- Recommends, writes, interprets and implements Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity policies and procedures.