Montana State University

MSU to offer international engineering certificate beginning this fall

October 3, 2011 -- MSU News Service

Subscribe to MSU Newsletters

Bobcat Bulletin is a weekly e-newsletter designed to bring the most recent and relevant news about Montana State University directly to friends and neighbors via email. Visit Bobcat Bulletin.

MSU Today e-mail brings you news and events on campus thrice weekly during the academic year. Visit the MSU Today calendar.

MSU News Service
Tel: (406) 994-4571
The Montana State University College of Engineering will offer engineering and computer science students an international engineering certificate option beginning this fall.

The certificate will help prepare students to effectively engage with the global community, according to John Paxton, head of the MSU computer science department who helped design the certificate program.

"This will not only prepare our students for the global workplace, but it will also make them better global citizens," Paxton said.

To be eligible for the certificate, students must pick a particular country or region of the world as a focus and earn a minimum of 15 credits relevant to that focus. They must also complete an international experience for two weeks or longer, such as a study abroad program or work or service experience.

Only students who earn a bachelor's degree from the College of Engineering are eligible for the certificate program.

Part of the rationale for establishing the certificate program is to provide an opportunity for students to distinguish themselves as they start their careers, Paxton said.

"Within a given career path, the experiences that set you apart from your colleagues are the ones that give you a different perspective and often add value to what you can accomplish for your employer."

Paxton said informational sessions for students will be held at 5 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 19, in Roberts Hall 321 and 5 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 20, in EPS 108.

For more information, visit

John Paxton, (406) 994-4780 or