BOZEMAN - Forty-four mayors and city managers from across Montana attended the Montana Executive Forum in Helena on March 6-7.
Presented jointly by the Montana State University Local Government Center and the Montana Municipal Interlocal Authority, the event featured a discussion on current legislation and the impact on cities and towns.
The forum also provided training on municipal debt management, the federal healthcare bill, improving council relations and managing conflict, Internet security and cyber liability and other topics of interest to the executive branch of municipal government. Formerly known as the Montana Mayors Forum, the event was opened to city managers this year.
"Mayors and city managers are responsible for making sure the work of the city gets done," said Dan Clark, director of the MSU Local Government Center. "The executive forum provides specific training designed to equip them with the skills they need to successfully serve their constituents. The interactive discussions on challenging issues facing Montana allow mayors to share what they have learned in their municipalities and to learn from other mayors who may have gone through a similar experience in their city or town."
Municipal officials who attended the forum were:
- Belgrade: Russ Nelson, Mayor; Phyllis Wernikowski, Finance Director.
- Boulder: Gary Craft, Mayor; Rick Streib, City Administrator
- Browning: Lockley Bremner, Mayor; Alvin Yellow Owl, Town Manager.
- Choteau: Jay Dunckel, Mayor.
- Clyde Park: Alice Hartman, Mayor.
- Colstrip: Rose Hanser, Mayor.
- Columbia Falls: Susan Nicosia, City Manger.
- Conrad: Wendy Judisch, Mayor.
- Cut Bank: Doug Embody, Mayor.
- Dillon: Martin Malesich, Mayor.
- Drummond: Gail Leeper, Mayor.
- Eureka: Ethel White, Mayor.
- Forsyth: Brad Matteson, Mayor.
- Fort Peck: John Jones, Mayor.
- Fromberg: Ed Warner-Combs, Mayor.
- Glasgow: Daniel Carney, Mayor.
- Glendive: Jerry Jimison, Mayor.
- Great Falls: Michael Winters, Mayor; Greg Doyon, City Manager.
- Havre: Tim Solomon, Mayor; Doug Kaercher, Finance Director.
- Helena: Ronald Alles, City Manager.
- Laurel: Heidi Jensen, Chief Administrative Officer.
- Lewistown: Kevin Myhre, City Manager.
- Lima: David Olsen, Mayor.
- Manhattan: David Rowell, Mayor.
- Missoula: Bruce Bender, Chief Administrative Officer.
- Philipsburg: Anne Fillmore, Mayor.
- Red Lodge: Brian Roat, Mayor.
- Ryegate: Patti Bruner, Mayor.
- Saco: Clint Simpson, Mayor.
- Scobey: Ronald Audet, Mayor.
- Shelby: Larry Bonderud, Mayor; Lorette Carter, Economic Development Director.
- Stevensville: Gene Mim Mack, Mayor.
- Thompson Falls: Carla Parks, Mayor.
- Three Forks: Gene Townsend, Mayor.
- Twin Bridges: Thomas Hyndman, Mayor.
- White Sulphur Springs: Julian Theriault, Mayor.
- Whitefish: Chuck Stearns, City Manager.
- Whitehall: Mary Janacaro-Hensleigh, Mayor.
The MSU Local Government Center provides training, technical assistance and research services to elected, appointed and administrative officials and supports Montana's cities, towns and counties by partnering with local government practitioners and their professional associations.
Contact: Dan Clark, MSU Local Government Center Director, (406) 994-7756 or Daniel.email@example.com.