Montana State University

MSU Extension: Seniors should apply for Montana elderly homeowner or renter tax credit

February 24, 2014 -- MSU News Service

Subscribe to MSU Newsletters

Bobcat Bulletin is a weekly e-newsletter designed to bring the most recent and relevant news about Montana State University directly to friends and neighbors via email. Visit Bobcat Bulletin.

MSU Today e-mail brings you news and events on campus thrice weekly during the academic year. Visit the MSU Today calendar.

MSU News Service
Tel: (406) 994-4571

BOZEMAN – Are you a Montanan who is 62 or older as of Dec. 31? If so, Montana State University Extension experts recomned citizens check to see whether you qualify for Montana's elderly homeowner or renter tax credit for 2013.

If you can answer yes to all of the following questions, then you may be eligible for the credit:

  • Were you 62 or older as of Dec. 31, 2013?
  • Did you occupy a Montana residence(s) as an owner or renter for 6 months or more during 2013?
  • Did you reside in Montana for nine months or more during 2013?
  • Was your total gross household income less than $45,000 in 2013? (An MSU Extension form contains instructions for determining total gross household income.)

Montana allows qualifying citizens a credit for a portion of their property taxes or rent paid based on their income. The credit can be used against state income liability or as a direct refund if the person is not required to file a Montana state income tax return. Only one claim is allowed per household.

To determine eligibility, complete “Form 2EC,” which can be found at your local office of the Montana Department of Revenue, library, post office or tax preparer office. It is also available on the web at under “Forms,” click on “Individual Income Tax,” and then under Individual Income Tax Forms, click “Montana Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit.”

Help is available to complete Form 2EC by calling the Department of Revenue, (406) 444-2830 (hearing impaired only) or toll free: 1-866-859-2254. If you are in the Helena area, call (406) 444-6900. 

Contact: Marsha Goetting, (406) 994-5695,