Montana State University

Seniors should apply for Montana Homeowner/renter tax credit

January 28, 2011 -- MSU News Service

Subscribe to MSU Newsletters

Bobcat Bulletin is a weekly e-newsletter designed to bring the most recent and relevant news about Montana State University directly to friends and neighbors via email. Visit Bobcat Bulletin.

MSU Today e-mail brings you news and events on campus thrice weekly during the academic year. Visit the MSU Today calendar.

MSU News Service
Tel: (406) 994-4571
Are you a Montanan who is 62 or older as of Dec. 31? If so, then check to see whether you qualify for Montana's elderly homeowner/renter tax credit for 2010.
If you can answer "yes" to all of the following questions, then you may be eligible for the credit:

1. Were you 62 or older as of Dec. 31, 2010?
2. Did you occupy a Montana residence(s) as an owner or renter for 6 months or more during 2010?
3. Did you reside in Montana for nine months or more during 2010?
4. Was your total gross household income less than $45,000 in 2010? Instructions for determining total gross household income are included with the form required to request the credit, Form 2EC.

Montana allows qualifying citizens a credit for a portion of their property taxes or rent paid based on their income. The credit can be used against state income liability or as a direct refund if the person is not required to file a Montana state income tax return. One claim is allowed per household.

To determine eligibility, complete Form 2EC, which can be found at your local Department of Revenue, library, post office or tax preparer office. It is also available on the web at
Form 2EC must be filed on or before April 15, 2011, whether you file it separately or with your Form 2 or 2M. You can file your Form 2 or 2M (if required) and Form 2EC through the Department of Revenue's website using Taxpayer Access Point (TAP), located at

If you have not filed for the tax credit before but think you may have been eligible, you are allowed to file for up to five years from the original due date of the Form 2EC. If you need help in completing Form 2EC, call the Department of Revenue, (406) 444-2830 (hearing impaired only) or toll free: 1-866-859-2254. If you are in the Helena area, call 444-6900.

Marsha Goetting, Extension Family Economics Specialist, (406) 994-5695 or