Alcohol Edu for College, Haven, and Transit
As part of our comprehensive prevention program for new students, Montana State University requires all incoming students to complete AlcoholEdu for College, Haven, and Transit. These online courses will empower you to make well-informed decisions about issues that affect your college years and beyond. If you have any questions on the programming that we offer, please feel free to contact the MSU Prevention Staff at: email@example.com.
For more information about the programs and the company that administers the programs, please go to www.everfi.com.
- The AlcoholEdu for College, Haven, and Transit programs open Dec. 19th, 2016.
- Part 1 is due Jan. 6, 2017.
- Part 2 is due Feb. 20, 2017.
To Begin AlcoholEDU, Haven, and Transit
- When prompted, please enter your 8 digit student ID number to receive credit for completion. You can look-up your Student ID on your Cat Card. Please include all zeros but do not include the dash. For example: if your Student ID is -01234567 enter 01234567
- Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Failure to complete all three programs will result in an administrative hold on your account which will prevent you from registering for classes
While we are committed to making a difference with our students, we also understand that parents are the first line of defense against alcohol misuse and abuse. EverFi offers additional content that is designed to support your conversations about alcohol that will help shape the decisions your child must make in college surrounding alcohol use.
The content is available at http://www.everfi.com/alcoholeduforparents and includes:
- An overview of the AlcoholEdu for College course structure and key concepts.
- A demo video that provides you with an overview of the course experience your child will be moving through.
- Helpful resources, such as tips on talking to your college student about alcohol, warning signs of an alcohol problem and links to additional resources.
Student Troubleshooting Guide
Frequently Asked Questions
What do these courses cover?
- AlcoholEdu for College
- Whether you drink or not, this course will empower you to make well-informed decisions about alcohol and help you to reflect on and consider college drinking related issues.
- Haven Understanding Sexual Assault
- Learn about healthy relationships, the importance of consent and being a good communicator, and the many ways you can help create the safe, positive campus you want to be a part of.
- Transit Financial Wellness
- From budgeting for the weekend to managing your financial aid, this course will equip you with skills to navigate your finances both in school and beyond.
Why do I need to complete these courses?
As of October 15th, 2014 the Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education has mandated all new, incoming students to Montana State University (regardless of age) are required to complete an authorized program in alcohol education, sexual assault awareness and prevention, and financial literacy. Participation in this program is not an elective; if the modules are not completed in the time allotted, a hold will be placed on your ability to register for the following term.
What happens if I do not complete AlcoholEdu, Haven, and Transit prior to the deadline?
You will receive a hold on your account which will prevent you for registering for Fall 2017 classes.
How do you know if I have completed the programs?
The MSU Prevention Staff will have access to the program to check to see if you have completed the programs. Failure to complete Part 2 by February 20th, 2017 will result in a Fall 2017 registration hold on your student account. As a student at MSU, you are responsible for completing the AlcoholEdu, Haven, and Transit programs.
When is the deadline?
- Part 1 is due January 6th, 2017.
- Part 2 is due February 20th, 2017.
When is Part 2 available?
Part 2 of AlcoholEdu, Haven, and Transit will become available 30 days AFTER you complete Part 1 of the programs. You will be notified via email when Part 2 is available to you.
How often do I need to complete the courses?
You only need to complete AlcoholEdu, Haven, and Transit one time as a student at MSU.
What if I've completed the courses previously?
If you completed AlcoholEdu, Haven, and Transit at a previous university you will need to provide verification of your completion to the Office of Health Advancement to be exempt from retaking them. Please call 994-4380 or email email@example.com for details on submitting verification of completion. If you completed AlcoholEdu and Haven at Montana State University prior to 2014 when the mandate was put in place you are required to retake the courses.
What if I miss the deadline?
If you do not complete Part 2 of AlcoholEdu, Haven, and Transit by the deadline you will receive a hold on your account which will prevent you for registering for Fall 2017 classes. After the deadline passes you can still log in to complete the courses. Your hold will be remove upon completion of Part 2 in AlcoholEdu, Haven, and Transit.
I am only taking online classes. Do I still need to complete the programs?
Yes, every incoming MSU student is required to complete AlcoholEdu, Haven, and Transit. Failure to complete Part 2 by February 20th, 2017 will result in a Fall 2017 registration hold on your student account.
How long does it take to complete the programs?
AlcoholEdu, Haven, and Transit will take approximately four hours to complete. Students can complete the course at their own pace over multiple sittings.
What happens if my computer freezes during the middle of completing the programs or if I have problems with completing the programs?
You can access the 24 hour IT support through the course. The number to speak to an EverFi IT specialist is 866-384-9062. When calling the number, please be sure to inform them of the issue that you are having, as well as the university in which you are affilitated (MSU). You can also access the support by clicking next to your name at the top right of the screen. Then, click on "Help" in the drop down menu and follow the instructions.
Are there support capabilities for students with disabilities?
Yes, EverFi is deeply committed to ensuring that all students are able to access and experience the Haven and AlcoholEdu courses. Beginning in June 2015, the entire suite of the EverFi Higher Education courses, as well as the student registration, login, and dashboard will be in full compliance with the guidelines and standards put forth by the Web Content Accessiblity Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). The WCAG 2.0 covers a wide range of recommendations for making Web content accessible to individuals with disabilities, including, but not limited to, visual impairment, hearing impairment, learning disabilities, cognitive limitations, limited movement, speech disabilities, photosensitivity, and combinations of these.
But, I don’t drink alcohol. Should I still complete AlcoholEdu?
Yes, every incoming MSU student is required to complete AlcoholEdu, Haven, and Transit. Even though someone may not drink alcohol, he or she may still be impacted by alcohol use on college campuses. AlcoholEdu provides a personalized pathway tailored to each student’s choices; so even if an individual does not drink alcohol, he or she can still receive support and education in regards to their current and future decisions. These programs provide individualized feedback and will benefit all students.
Will I learn how to deal with friends when they are intoxicated?
Yes. AlcoholEdu provides support, information, and coping strategies to students who have peers with potentially risky drinking patterns.
What if I don’t have a computer at home?
If you do not have an accessible computer at home, you can use any publicly available computer with Internet access and audio capabilities. If you are on campus, MSU offers 12 student computer labs. Click here to see student computer lab locations. Please be sure that the most recent version of Adobe Flash player is installed on the computer prior to registering for the courses.
What if I don’t pass the courses?
If you do not receive a 75% or higher on AlcoholEdu, you will be instructed to retake the course.
What email address should I use?
Please use your preferred e-mail address.
What materials do I need prior to log-in?
Please be sure to have the following materials readily available prior to logging in:
- A computer with Internet access, audio capabilities, and Adobe Flash player.
- MSU Student ID number. You can look-up your Student ID on your Cat Cat. Please include all zeros but do not include the dash. For example: if your student ID is -01234567 enter 01234567.
What do parents need to know about AlcoholEdu, Haven, and Transit?
Parents can refer to the Everfi Parents Resources here.
Who do I contact with questions?
Please direct all questions regarding AlcoholEdu, Haven, and Transit to firstname.lastname@example.org or 994-4380.