Body Image and Awareness
- To create an overarching message to Everybody that "You Are Enough"
- To challenge society's pressures about how a person should look
- To encourage individuals to explore their unique and authentic selves
Many things influence our idea of the "perceived perfect body." A lot more goes into our body image than meets the eye.
- How we internalize the cultural message of "the perfect body"
- Body shaming, intentional or unintentional
- Our own "inner critic"
- Our personal body experiences
- The messages or images that we engage with or spend time pursuing
Here are some "take - aways" from other students after discussing the OHA Body Acceptance presentation
- Appreciate all that your body can do
- Remind yourself that "true beauty" is not simply skin-deep
- Be aware of those negative voices in your head and how they are not helpful
- Wear clothes that are comfortable and that make you feel good about your body
- Become a critical viewer of social and societies messages
- Use the time and energy that you might have spent worrying about your image to live your life to the fullest
For more support, head over to the body image tab on the Wellness Blog! Some of our Body Image articles are featured below! Commit to being an active part of the solution. Let's support one another in our body acceptance journeys!
Body Image and Mental Health
How to help a friend struggling with Body Image