Mission StatementUniversity Business Services

The University Business Services Accounting and Financial Reporting Office supports the instructional, research and outreach mission of the University. We ensure that MSU business transactions are conducted and reported efficiently, effectively, and in accordance with all applicable regulations, policies, and procedures.


The 2009 legislature changed the substantiation requirement for foreign meal per diem. The current reimbursement for foreign meals: without receipts is $36 per day with receipts the maximum is 80% of the GSA rate.

What's New!

Effective January 1, 2018 - New Travel Mileage Rates 

Effective January 1, 2017 - New Travel Mileage Rates  

There is a new Travel Authorization and Advance (Word Format)(PDF Format) form. Travel Instructions are also located here and on the UBS forms page.

Travel Recap Sheet (2018)

Travel Recap Sheet (2017)

**Effective 10/01/17 - reimbursement for lodging is based on federal per diem schedules and is actual cost NOT TO EXCEED the prescribed maximum standard rate for the location plus taxes. The standard federal lodging rate is $93.00 per night. A number of locations have been assigned a higher maximum lodging rate. This list is available on the the internet: Lodging Rates and high cost areas

Effective immediately: these new account codes should be used:
Acct/ Description

  • 62371 TELEPHONE MONTHLY SERVICE – Non State Provider -Replaces 62370
  • 623B4 LONG DISTANCE TELEPHONE – State Provider (ITSD)–Replaces 62385
  • 62386 LONG DISTANCE TELEPHONE – Non State Provider

Effective immediately: EXPANDED Account codes for Out of State Travel

  • 62411 – Out of state mileage
  • 62415 – Out of state other (airfare, gas, taxi, shuttle, etc)
  • 62416 – Out of state un-receipted lodging
  • 62417 – Out of state meals - same day travel
  • 62418 – Out of state lodging
  • 62430 – Out of state meals - overnight

Please print a new account code list at Expenditure Account Codes.

State of Montana MOM manual

Passport required for travel to Canada and Mexico

Flying to Canada or Mexico? Remember, beginning January 23, 2007, all passengers traveling by air, regardless of age or citizenship, will be required to have a valid passport to enter the United States. If you are thinking of traveling in the future and don't have a passport, please familiarize yourself with the new U.S. government travel initiative.